Sign in to follow this  
Dogface

Question Regarding A Transducer Cable Repair

Guys

I need some help with my depth finder. I have a Garmin 160 set up with the transducer mounted on the bow mount trolling motor. I caught the transducer cable in the bow mount and cut it in half. I tried to repair it by soldering the wires and covering the splices with heat shrink but now I only get a weak bottom reading to about four feet. I lose the bottom as it gets deeper but the depth still shows on the screen.

The cable contains 4 wires in two pairs. Each pair is wrapped in a foil like material. A fifth bare wire is wrapped around the two pairs. I damaged some of the foil and replaced it with aluminum foil. I suspect this has something to do with my problem.

Do I need this foil material? Is there any material I should use other than aluminum foil?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The cable is set up that way to create magnetic fields that help generate your signal. From what I've heard that's a death sentence for the transducer. Perhaps and electrician could fix it if he knew what was up, but my dad who's an electrical engineer couldn't so you might be out of luck.

The foil material is actually shielding that is supposed to prevent bleed over between your 2 sets of wires.  

Even though I also own a 160, I've never had to splice the x-ducer cable. I'm not even sure why they have a second set of wires. If you haven't already, you need to make sure you have an actual wire soldered from one side of the foil to the other.  It's not really necessary to actually wrap the foil around the break, just that you make a solid conductive connection between the two sides and then wrap it with tape.  I suspect your shielding is not making a connection.

If that doesn't do it you're due for a new x-ducer.

If that doesn't do it you're due for a new x-ducer.

That would probably cost more than a new unit. I'll pull it apart and resolder it. Then try it without the foil.

BTW Thanks for the replies!!

Dogface,

I have replaced 3 or 4 transducers on Eagle Sounders and if my memory is correct about 1/5 the cost of a new sounder.

Dogface,

I have replaced 3 or 4 transducers on Eagle Sounders and if my memory is correct about 1/5 the cost of a new sounder.

I'll call and see what they want. I was just told on another site that Garmin want's $120. just to look a a unit but now that you mention it it would be cheaper to buy new than to repair it.

Thanks Again

Dog Face

I should have been more specific. I bought my sounder at a Tackle, Gun and Boat dealer and just went in and bought a new transducer. I took the model number and old transducer to be sure the connections were correct. If you bought your unit through a catalog or on line you can probably do a Google search for dealers local to your area.

I bought new transducers on two different sounders because I banged them into the rocks too many times.