pauldconyers

Which rod to upgrade my reel on?

I've got enough in the budget to upgrade to a better reel on on of my rods, the question is which would be better to do? For now I am not wanting advice which reel to go with or what line to put it on. I have a Dobyns Fury 705CB that I use for moving baits like lipless and small cranks. I also have Dobyns Sierra 735C that I use as a frog and jig rod. Which of these two rods/presentations would benefit more from a better reel? (This of course goes under the assumption that my two existing reels are of the same age and quality and the correct gear ratio.)

If this question doesn't beg the answer of 'dude, it's personal preference,' I don't know what would.

Now that that's outta the way, upgrade the reel for your moving bait rod.😁

I would upgrade the reel on the sierra. I like my rods and reels to "match" in terms of quality. The frogging reel will also take more abuse and you will benefit form upgrading in the long run.  IMO moving bait combos are the place to save money. 

Which one do you enjoy and fish the most? That's where I'd spend my money.

I hate to ask but does anyone else have an opinion here? I understand that some people would say it's not as necessary on a moving bait like lipless rod to have a nicer reel but all day long your chucking it and I can see wanting something smoother. I can also I understand on a frog/jig rod having a better set up. For jigs there isn't a ton of serious retrievel, unless bringing back in a fish. But I can see frogging and what can be difficult retrievel. I'm just torn and if anyone else has an opinion that would be great. Thanks

I agree with Junger, which one do you fish the most?  That would be the one I would put a better reel on.