Cheif250

Best reel to pair with an NRX 894

Do you think the aldebaran is too light for the 894? Thinking the aldebaran of met mgl. 

Aldebaran is way too light for NRX 894. Even Metanium MGL might feel too light for you if you're sensitive to tip-heaviness. I prefer Bantam MGL but YMMV.

Tons of guys pair the 894 with the Metanium MGL. It's an insanely smooth reel, and super light. If you don't mind a little extra weight I find that the difference in performance between the Chronarch and Metanium is negligible. Not worth $140 extra in my book. I do love the Aldebaran, and it could handle jig duties (I use mine with finesse jigs a lot), but I just feel a little more confident with a 150 size reel when I put the screws to a fish with big single hooks. Probably more of a mental thing than anything, so take that for what it's worth.

I have a chronarch mgl on mine and love it! Loads of power, casts a country mile, light and balances well. If i were to replace it, it would probably be with a bantam mgl.

Depends on how you are fishing.... casting vs pitching? Overall desired preference for lightness of reel or smoothness on the retrieve or balance of the combo? Sorry, but there are lots of factors that could make this perfect for you. An Alde will be pretty much too light even if the goal is keeping the weight down and pitching. The Met MGL is phenomenal casting reel but it is nearly inevitable the gears will be slightly rough especially over time. It is a well known issue and happened to my XG model. The fix is the brass gear conversion kit the TackleTrap sells. It would smooth out and make the reel feel incredible. The other option would be something more smooth on the retrieve and made of slightly heavier material like aluminum. Both the Chronarch 100D7 and Bantam come to mind.

Then of course there is Daiwa!

• Like 1