newyorktoiowa57

2019 Levante vs orochi XX vs Destroyer

For those who have used all three, how do they compare?  I recently ordered a LV Jerkbait special and an older, gen 1 Orochi EMTF.  I will be able to make a better comparison once I have them in hand, but for now I am interested in any feedback you guys might have. 

The Levante, XX, and Destoryer are all fabulous. IMO the Destroyers are well worth the price however, it really depends on how much you want to spend. The Levante is among the finest $200 rod, the XX is among the finest $300 rod, and the Destroyer is among the finest $400 rod. 

I personally like the Destroyers for any bottom contact presentation as they are extremely impressive in terms of sensitivity. It really comes down to what you want to spend as well if you prefer EVA foam, full cork, split grip, etc. You will notice an increase in sensitivity from the Levante to the XX to the Destroyer. Regardless you wont be upset as I own them all. They can't be beat at the prices they are offered at. I'd let you preference in terms of handle configuration determine which series. I'm not that picky but if you are, that could help you decide.

I've got a few Destroyers (FMJ, Daemos) , OrochiXX (diablo), and a Levante flatside.

I think it's mostly about enthusiasm past $100..that and the fit/finish and bling.  Once I accepted that, I breathed a little easier.  They will indeed, catch fish...much like the $60 Cadence rods (that are nice and light and look nice) I bought on Amazon.

I've fished the destroyers well, Orochi is new and not fished, and the Lev ante maybe 5 trips, but broke it choking up on it like an idiot trying to boat flip a 6lbs in a crisis moment.  All have that MB fit and finish, similar guide and guide wraps.  Handles as Efishin said, is a big difference.   I prefer the Destroyer handles.   Neither Destroyer nor the XX have hook keepers, but the Levante has one under the grip.  The all feel like nice rods, and they all look superb.  I'm partial to the FMJ and Daemos, but is that based on some scientific metrics?  No way...I probably prefer that style (M and MH fast, relatively stiff but load well) rod from most brands.  I can't say for sure, it could just be because they cost more.

If you're buying because you love the gear as part of your fishing experience, I think you'll enjoy them. I would advice against rough treatment...while the need no special care, I feel they may be more prone to breakage with improper use than a lot more forgiving rods that allow us to develop bad habits.

2 hours ago, FishingGeekTX said:

I've got a few Destroyers (FMJ, Daemos) , OrochiXX (diablo), and a Levante flatside.

I think it's mostly about enthusiasm past $100..that and the fit/finish and bling.  Once I accepted that, I breathed a little easier.  They will indeed, catch fish...much like the $60 Cadence rods (that are nice and light and look nice) I bought on Amazon.

I've fished the destroyers well, Orochi is new and not fished, and the Lev ante maybe 5 trips, but broke it choking up on it like an idiot trying to boat flip a 6lbs in a crisis moment.  All have that MB fit and finish, similar guide and guide wraps.  Handles as Efishin said, is a big difference.   I prefer the Destroyer handles.   Neither Destroyer nor the XX have hook keepers, but the Levante has one under the grip.  The all feel like nice rods, and they all look superb.  I'm partial to the FMJ and Daemos, but is that based on some scientific metrics?  No way...I probably prefer that style (M and MH fast, relatively stiff but load well) rod from most brands.  I can't say for sure, it could just be because they cost more.

If you're buying because you love the gear as part of your fishing experience, I think you'll enjoy them. I would advice against rough treatment...while the need no special care, I feel they may be more prone to breakage with improper use than a lot more forgiving rods that allow us to develop bad habits.

I agree about catching fish on cheap gear, my biggest fish ever(a king salmon) came on an ugly stick. For me, it is part of the experience.  I have never seen one in person, but from what I gather Megabass has the sickest looking rods on the market. 

My advise is to NOT buy a destroyer, because then you'll buy more. I have 4 now.. FMJ, Daemos, Ottomat and I just picked up a Brigand. I also have a Levante gen 2 Perfect Pitch. 

The fit and finish on the destroyers are PROBABLY the best in bass fishing. I've not held a production rod that's finished nicer than a Destroyer.. the Phenix K2 is close. The balance & the weight is on point for the price point. The major downside is the warranty. The plus side is they really hold their value well. I'm able to get them at 20% off, and used they go for around the same price. So in theory I can use them for a while and punt them along for nearly what I paid.