Largies4Life

What would you do in my position?

Here is my current situation. I am a bank fisherman unless I go out in a friend's boat or in one of my family's boats (i.e. my brother's or dad's) I live in a Condo with an underground garage with two parking stalls and I currently only use one of them. I would like to step it up and purchase a smaller deep-v boat or jon boat. I've also considered a kayak as well. The problem is, I don't really have a way of storing it unless I find a way to make it fit in the underground garage, which is why I was thinking a kayak would be the best bet in that case. Has anyone else been in the same boat as I am (No pun intended ;))? If so, what did you do? What do you think is the best solution for me other than buying myself a house?

yes ... many yrs. ago ... sea eagle inflatable ... worked for me ... 

good fishing ...

Never been in your position; however, depending on the kayak,

you should easily be able to fit it in the spare spot easily. I'd think

a boat trailer would be too long to fit? Inflatables are always a

choice, as suggests @greentrout.

Assume security of said boat/kayak is not going to be an issue stored

there?

Unless the HOA has a problem with it, I don't see why you couldn't use the other parking space for a kayak...maybe even a relatively large kayak (or canoe) on a trailer.  You wouldn't have to back a kayak trailer down into the garage since you could maneuver it by hand (a lot easier than a boat on a trailer, anyway.)

1 hour ago, Darren. said:

Assume security of said boat/kayak is not going to be an issue stored

there?

Security would not be an issue as I do have a small storage spot behind the parking space that I can always lock it to that. The neighborhood is also very safe from my experiences so far.

17 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

Unless the HOA has a problem with it, I don't see why you couldn't use the other parking space for a kayak...maybe even a relatively large kayak (or canoe) on a trailer.  You wouldn't have to back a kayak trailer down into the garage since you could maneuver it by hand (a lot easier than a boat on a trailer, anyway.)

I was thinking the same thing about a trailer. If I had a trailer, I could easily drive it into the underground garage, detach the trailer, and maneuver it by hand pretty easily.

1 hour ago, greentrout said:

yes ... many yrs. ago ... sea eagle inflatable ... worked for me … 

Never thought about an inflatable boat! Are they pretty sturdy if I were to fish standing up?

• Like 1

I used to be in your situation when I had my condo. I bought a Sea Eagle SE9 inflatable motor mount boat.  I still use it, just had it out this weekend.  It takes about 15-20 minutes for me to set it up with an electric pump, but the plus side is it stores in a large Rubbermaid tote when not in use.  I also have the floorboard which makes standing easier.  I can motor around for hours with a trolling motor, or paddle it.  It also has a very shallow draft allowing me to take it anywhere I can take a canoe or kayak. 

As for durability, I've bumped mine off of rocks and trees without any issue.  They are pretty tough boats.  I'm actually on my second hull, the first one had an issue with the floor, and Sea Eagle sent me a new one.  Their customer service has been top notch in my experience.  The reason I mention that is the old hull still held air in the 3 main chambers, so it became an oversize pool toy.  During a party 8 of us had it in the pool and tried to see how tough the boats really were.  Between us filling it with water, overloading it with people, flipping it over, and other horsing around we still didn't hurt it.  That hull lasted for a few years of pool duty basically being subjected to the same abuse.  The only reason we got rid of it was because we were cleaning out the basement and didn't need the second hull anymore.

• Thanks 1

Id say yak, remember with a boat you need to be able to run it on a hose for flushing/fixing something. Guessing your neighbors wouldn't be crazy with you dragging a hose and running a loud outboard in the parking lot. Other option is a jon boat with a trolling motor. When I lived in my apartment I stuck with the kayak, I would just leave in in the back of my truck on the weekends for easy fishing.

• Like 1