TotalNoob

Owner Flashy Swimmer/Swimbait Sizing/Alternatives

I've hooked into some decent fish (quality & quantity) since throwing the owner flashy swimmer starting about a month ago (sz 1/O and 3/O). Can't overstate my appreciation for how the twistlock/centering pin holds the plastic in place and keeps everything straight and in tact, far simpler and more effective than how I was previously rigging keitechs. 

Problem is that I've also lost more fish w the owner flashy swimmer (landing ratio I mean) than I would on like a simple texas rigged worm or creature bait or how I used to texas rig keitechs. Typically when I stick em with the single hook they're landed pretty close to 100% of the time, pretty rare not to. 

So I'm trying to figure out the problem and some solutions. I'm using the fat swing impacts exclusively so far and I'm wondering if I'm not getting good hooksets. When I look at a 4.3 fat keitech on a 3/O it seems like there isn't much room for the plastic to get out of the way to get the hook exposed ... this is the combination where I'm having trouble losing fish ... could this be legitimately costing me fish? 

What are some solutions? For my multi-species shad-based fishery (mostly smallmouths) I honestly do not need any stouter hook than the 3/O yet I do want to be able to present larger profiles. A 4.8 keitech definitely doesn't seem to fit on the 3/O flashy swimmer and like I said above I'm not even sure the 4.3 technically is meant to. Is anyone using anything else like the flashy swimmer where they can get that larger profile presented without having to also include a crazy thick hook? 

Try using a 4/0 size hook. You’ll have to go up in weight though. The hook thickness shouldn’t be noticeable. Also can try a different brand. There are many companies that use the same design. 

56 minutes ago, Kidflex said:

Try using a 4/0 size hook. You’ll have to go up in weight though. The hook thickness shouldn’t be noticeable. Also can try a different brand. There are many companies that use the same design. 

Yes it sounds like you need a bigger hook with a bigger gap. 

Unfortunately the flashy swimmer actually only comes in 1/0, 3/0, and 5/0 (I believe there are also some bigger hooks, but I haven’t even considered them). 

I tend to use the 3/0 for 3.8 fats and the 5/0 for the 4.8 fats. 

These both have worked very well for me in the past. If I am fishing smaller sizes I tend to use other hooks.  

I believe there is the Owner Flashy Beast Hook now as well with larger hooks and wider gaps .