Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with the abu garcia revo x and see if anyone else had the same issue with it or what may have caused it. I bought the revo x left handed 7:1 on july 2. Used it almost everyday, mainly frog fishing. 2 days ago, while frog fishing, i casted, and the thumb release popped back. After i picked out the birds nest, I casted again, and the reel was grinding and not giving me the same casting distance. I was really disappointed because it was a very quiet, smooth casting reel. Anyways, I returned it and put in $30 bucks with it and picked up a tatula ct. Anyone else have this issue of the thumb release popping back when you cast? 

Never had an issue with my Revo X. I used it for 6 months without issues at all. I also just picked up a tatula ct and it is by far, a better reel. Just an fyi, if you look around at a certain reseller website you can find tatula ct’s for under $100 new. 

I have 1st Gen Revos from the winch to SXTs never had trouble with any. Now my boys fight over them old reels and they're still goin strong. I also went to the CTs on my rods. I like the break and how they breakdown for maintenance better also. Seems easier to me. Although the drag on the Revos was better IMO..

I purchased the STX Gen4 from Amazon at the beginning of the year and had a similar issue that started back in May.  Amazon took it back no questions asked.  I had fished it a few times in a couple of tournaments but it did not get any type of daily abuse.  I was never exactly thrilled with this reel.  I have a Revo Winch Gen4 that is awesome.  The STX never felt exactly right.  Then one day I pressed my thumb down to cast and when I cranked the handle, something popped.  It turned out to be the clutch spring.  It would not stay attached to the clutch cam.  I thought about ordering the part but since I wasn't that happy with this reel to begin with, I returned it.  

I think I was trying too hard to compare it to my Curado K and figure out why it cost a few bucks more.  The K, to me, is just a better reel for the money.  But with that said, I think the Winch is probably one the best technique specific reels I have fished> great power for moving fish and the breaking system is perfect for crankbaits.

• Like 1