Sign in to follow this  
chopper6322

registering a trailer

i have a little 12 foot trailer i just bought in michigan and need to drive it to texas...i want to register it in texas but the sticker with the VIN and other info is all faded and no numbers are legible...has anyone dealt with this before? particularly in texas?

similar situation here in fl. i got a trailer with my boat with no visible vin#, and the tag was to a camper.....so the tax collector office is going to issue a new vin.

good luck

If it has no license plate get the title from the seller.  If you can't get a title then get a bill of sale before you start pulling it down the road.

I had a trailer with no number here in MO. The license bureau would not title it for me. I took it to an inspection shop where I know the guys and they said since it had no numbers I could call it homemade. So I had it inspected as a homemade trailer and got a title.

I could have also gone through the county sheriff's office and got a sherriff's title which would have been about the same as homemade but would have taken several weeks longer.

Not sure about TX but in MD you have to have that plate on the trailer.  That was the most important thing for MD.  The trailer needs to be inspected at which time they will check that plate, the brakes (if any), the bearings, and the lights as well as the ball conection.  My plate was able to be read but I was told that alot of people have to go to a Trophy maker and have them print up a plate with the information on it and attache it to the trailer.

It actually was a huge pain in the butt but again that was MD everything with the MVA here is a pain in the butt.

Once the trailer passed inspection I had to go to the DMV and show them the inspection certificate, pay taxes on the sale price of the trailer, and pay registration fees for the state.

I'm not sure what help this would be, but that's what MD makes you do.

I've done it twice in Texas, once with a home built trailer and once with an old trailer with no numbers.  They have a provision in the forms for home built or unserialized trailers.  A VIN is not required, they will issue a plate.  

The only thing I see as potentially troublesome is you being from out of state.  Maybe I just thought you were from your post.  I don't know if there are different rules for bill of sale or notary requirements for out of state purchases.

You can call any county tax office and get the rest of the answers though.

thanks so much everyone...i am in texas right now but my wife is in MI with the trailer (our family is up there she's not just watching the trailer lol) but i'm going to the tax office tomorrow to try and get plates to take up there....thanks again