Sign in to follow this  
Tokyo Tony

Pontoon help!

Hey guys, I'm going up to NH this weekend for some smallie fishing, and will be taking along my pontoon boat. However, the lake I want to fish requires a 1/2 mile hike uphill, and I need a way to transport the 'toon. The wheels they sell at Cabela's don't fit my boat, and I remember seeing somewhere a way to make a makeshift wheel system, but I lost the link and can't find it.

Anyway, I don't know if you can see from the picture, but the front of the boat has two footrests, and I bought an old bike wheel yesterday. I want to clamp the wheel between those two footrests (and be able to remove it easily), but I really don't know how I would do that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks  :o

post-10657-130162911191_thumb.jpg

You should be able to get a rod the same size as the axle is/was, put it through the hub and lash it to each of the footpegs with some rope - you might be able to get away with some spring clamps, but i'd go with the rope

You could also drill a couple of small holes through the foot pegs and the shaft for the bike wheel, and attach them with small bolts and wing nuts.

TT:  go to Home Depot and get a completely threaded piece of rod the same size as the bike wheels axles and ALSO get some nuts and washers. Slip the rod through the wheel hub, put a washer or two on each side and then put the nuts on but don't snug them up too tightly. Then cut the rod to a lenght that will let you strap/attach it to your pontoon's footrests. You could also use some hose clamps or rope to do that (as sgbeitz already mentioned). Hope this helps you out

Thanks for the help guys  :o

Popeye - I went to Lowe's and asked the guy there what I could do. He was very helpful and free with his time - we talked for 15 minutes trying to figure something out. They didn't have a threaded rod that would fit the wheel, and when we were about to give up after some ideas that probably wouldn't have worked, the guy referred me to a bike shop to see if they had any cheap pegs I could use - the things that kids put on BMX bikes so their buddies can stand on the back/front. When he said that, I remembered that I still have my old pegs from my childhood. So I screwed them on (they're as solid as they come), and I strapped them to the footrests with a couple big hoseclamps. I wheeled it around the driveway for a bit, and it works really well.

Tomorrow I'll be wheeling that badboy up a mountain to my "secret" smallie pond, but that's not what I'm looking forward to. I'm looking forward to catching 50+ smallmouth on any lure I feel like using  ;D The smallies on that lake don't discriminate - they're all about diversity  ;D

Too cool, TT!! I completely FORGOT about those pegs that obviously worked well for you!! Now get out there and nail those smallies:o)

They make a step up edition of that exact pontoon, that has a wheel that comes standard on it. The wheel is located under neath the seat, and works great to wheel it around. I think you'd have a much easier time installing the wheel under the seat. And you can just take it off once you get the toon in the water.

Hey guys, just an update.

The wheel worked great - I did make it up the mountain without any trouble with the wheel. What I did not expect was how much effort it was going to take. Right when I lifted up the back after setting everything up, I couldn't believe how heavy everything was, and it took me forever to get to the top. I had to stop every 20 feet or so just because I'm miserably out of shape - I was seriously worried that I'd have a heart attack  :-?

Anyway, when I finally got there, it was awesome. Caught tons of smallmouth, some nice largemouth, and my PB crappie (a hair under 2 lbs on my UL setup). The topwater action was fierce all day, and I was switching lures just for the heck of it.

On the way back down, it took as long as it took to get to the top because my whole body was aching, and this time there was a huge swarm of mosquitos feasting on me  :o

All in all though, it was worth it. Good times.

hey tokyo tony should of taken a pic of that wheel set up for others to see and possably do the same.that pontoon is a nice set up, i have the same one.i do agree with the weight of this float its really deceiving aint it..................

This toon is surprisingly heavy.  I purchased a whee from cabelas that

was supposed to just bolt on,  the only problem was the bolt broke and the tubing started torip.  I might try your idea but right now I driving it to the lake [about 3 blocks] then dragging it the rest if the way.