James Niggemeyer

Using a Snell Knot for flipping and punching vegetation

Hey Bass Resource,

Got out on the water and did some flipping with heavy weights in thick matted grass so I thought a quick video on the Snell Knot would be good.

Why I use it, benefits, how I learned to tie it, etc.

Hope your like it...Thank you for watching

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing James!

Even tho I tie mine a little different, I agree its the best knot to use when punching. 

I also use it sometimes for flipping or pitching in moderate to heavy cover. 

Mike

• Like 1

Great tutorial James, only knot I use when punching. If I may ask what's the easiest way to cut a braid snell knot off the hook. I have the hardest time cutting or untying it from a punching hook with the freaking bait keeper in the way.

• Like 1

What is your go to hook for this? I've tried the snell knot and while I like it in theory, I found that the eye if the hook often was sharp and would weaken the line unless it was a welded hook eye, which are not common. I've been using Mustad heavy cover hooks because they are painted/coated at the eye to reduce this. 

• Like 1

Just now, MassYak85 said:

What is your go to hook for this? I've tried the snell knot and while I like it in theory, I found that the eye if the hook often was sharp and would weaken the line unless it was a welded hook eye, which are not common. 

I use the VMC flipping hooks they have the welded/ epoxied eye.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

What is your go to hook for this? I've tried the snell knot and while I like it in theory, I found that the eye if the hook often was sharp and would weaken the line unless it was a welded hook eye, which are not common. I've been using Mustad heavy cover hooks because they are painted/coated at the eye to reduce this. 

He uses the Owner Jungle flippin hook

1 hour ago, boostr said:

Great tutorial James, only knot I use when punching. If I may ask what's the easiest way to cut a braid snell knot off the hook. I have the hardest time cutting or untying it from a punching hook with the freaking bait keeper in the way.

I use an exacto knife to cut it off the hook

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boostr said:

I use a razor blade to cut my braid off the shank when using snell knots.

• Like 1

my only issue with them is cutting them off when its time to retie. takes me forever to get all the line off the hook shank.

14 minutes ago, bagofdonuts said:

my only issue with them is cutting them off when its time to retie. takes me forever to get all the line off the hook shank.

See above....

Mike

I always use a twistlock EWG hook for flipping.  My hookup ratio is really good at the local weedery I use it on too.  

I did the smell knot thing for punching for a few years. Went back to a palomar and noticed no difference in hookup ratio. If anything I have more confidence in tying the line directly to the eye of the hook as it was intended. The whole idea of the hook "kicking" upwards on the hookset looks neat when you do it in your hands but I'm skeptical that it works exactly that way in a fish's mouth. 

Nice video though. I'm sure it will help anyone who wants to try it out.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, JediAmoeba said:

I always use a twistlock EWG hook for flipping.  My hookup ratio is really good at the local weedery I use it on too.  

I too got some twistlock flipping hooks and so far I’ve found the hook up ratio to be great and my baits last through multiple fish as I hate throwing baits away after one or two fish. 

On July 24, 2019 at 11:14 AM, MassYak85 said:

Definitely the Owner Jungle Flipping Hook for me its a great hook that have had a lot of success with.

• Thanks 1