Jonny15678

Setting star drag using weights?

So I have a baitcasting rod with 40lb braid. And I used 5lb weight to set the drag. Load up the rod with the weights just where I am able to barely lift it and the drag slips. I am keeping the angle at 90 degrees. Is this an acceptable way to do it or can doing this break the rod?

Why are you trying to lift a 5 lb weight? Would you be trying to set the drag to compare lifting a 5 lb bass with the rod? The drag is there to help you fight fish, not lift them with the rod.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) another way is to just use the reel and tie a loop around the hook on the weight scale. Set drag at the point where you think it's 5lb, then start pulling. Look at the scale to see at which drag setting you start pulling 5lb drag. This method doesn't involve the rod at all . Or put the reel on the rod (better leverage maybe..?), and pull straight back. 

• Like 2

I think everyone should do what you are doing a few times to get an understanding of how much force it takes to flex a rod but yes it is a good way to break a rod if you're not careful.   I set my drag with a scale before I thread the line through the rod guides.  I'm setting the drag to keep my line or my rod from breaking,  whichever is weaker.  To do that you need to have some idea what the breaking point is for each.   A good rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/3 the maximum line rating of the rod and the same for the # test of the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tennessee Boy said:

I think everyone should do what you are doing a few times to get an understanding of how much force it takes to flex a rod but yes it is a good way to break a rod if you're not careful.   I set my drag with a scale before I thread the line through the rod guides.  I'm setting the drag to keep my line or my rod from breaking,  whichever is weaker.  To do that you need to have some idea what the breaking point is for each.   A good rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/3 the maximum line rating of the rod and the same for the # test of the line.

well luckily I put gradual pressure on the rod and didnt try and push its limits. I have a scale but its junk so I was trying to use a new method.

• Like 1

5 pounds is a lot for a rod to lift. Depending on what kind of rod it is, yes, it could easily break. Using that much weight, I agree with the others suggesting to do it off the rod, but you could also just hold the tip of the rod (without pinching the line) when lifting the weight to take the weight off the rod.

2 hours ago, Tennessee Boy said:

What is the smallest amount of weight you have used? Or do you always just use the 1/4-1/3 rule?

12 minutes ago, fin said:

What is the smallest amount of weight you have used? Or do you always just use the 1/4-1/3 rule?

I almost never go below 4 lbs because I almost never go below 12# line.  That's just me.  I would certainly go lower if I was using lighter equipment.   It's not like I'm setting my drag to within a 1 oz accuracy.  I shoot for around 1/4 lb accuracy somewhere between 1/4-1/3 of the line or rod weight.  Also,  if I'm using really heavy stuff,  I don't worry as much about my drag.  No bass is going to break 60# braid or an extra heavy action rod.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fin said:

5 pounds is a lot for a rod to lift. Depending on what kind of rod it is, yes, it could easily break. Using that much weight, I agree with the others suggesting to do it off the rod, but you could also just hold the tip of the rod (without pinching the line) when lifting the weight to take the weight off the rod.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit, I applied pressure to where I barely moved the weight. and I used a MH rod.

• Like 1

Here we go again. This is fishing, not marine engineering. Set your drag initially so that when you tug medium hard it will pull. This will be enough to hook a fish. Once the fish is hooked, adjust your drag to how you like to play the fish. Leave it alone and your drag is set perfectly. If you hook a bigger fish, go back to step 2. This is the reason there is a HUGE star drag adjuster beside your fingers. So that you can adjust on the fly. If it was a predetermined number, there would be no adjustment. You would buy a reel and select a reel ratio and a fish species specific drag setting.

• Thanks 1