Sign in to follow this  
SissySticks

Want new boat- stuck!!

I'm graduating from graduate school this coming may, and I hope to buy myself a new boat.  I'll have about $2000 to put down on it, but I want to spend less than $6000, preferably less than 5000.  I'm debating between 2 different types of boats, and I'm looking for some input.  

I live in NE Kansas, and fish everything from 30 acre ponds to Milford Reservoir, which is 16,500 acres.  Currently I fish out of a converted 16' semi-v.  It works okay but was never more than a holdover boat.

I mostly bass fish, as in, about 80% of the time.  However, I also occasionally fish for wipers, crappie, and walleye.  I am a recreation only fisherman, no tournaments anymore, but do fish about 50-60 times/year.  I am also a high-school english teacher, so needless to say, economy is important to me.  I want something I can pull with my 4-banger tacoma and power with a 50hp or less 4-stroke. It needs to be comfortable for 2 fisherman and a child, or 3 adults in a pinch. I also go to Canada (LOTW), SD, MN or ND 2-3 times per year to pike/muskie fish.

I am considering 2 types of layouts: a 16-17' tiller v-hull like an alumacraft lunker, sylvan backtroller, tracker guide special etc., or a 17' aluminum bass boat like a Skeeter sx17, G3 175, Ranger 117 Cherokee, Xpress sv17, etc.  Either way I want a 40-50hp 4 stroke outboard.  Both types can be pulled with my truck easily.  

I go back and forth almost daily on which to get.  For most of my fishing, the bass boat, with its superior casting space and rod/dry storage seems like the best choice, but when I think about running across miles bay in a skeeter sx17 and its low sides, I kind of pucker, and then I want the v-hull.  Those of you who've fished LOTW will sympathize.  I know every boat is a compramise, I'm just trying to find the boat that will be best for me 90% of the time.  What do you guys think?

It definitely sounds like you need one of those bass n walleye, multi-purpose aluminum boats given what you want to do with it.  

I have a 17' Nitro I am looking to sell. I know I live in Va but itcould help you out alot. I has a Mercury/Tracker motor 115hp and it is Fibergalss Great Boat!!! I Love it. Let me know. 8-)

I would go with an aluminum boat,18 feet or less. Aluminum is lighter and thus easier and cheaper to tow. Also, it is much more sturdy than fiberglass. I'm guessing that thirty acre lake doesnt have great ramps so you do not want to get a boat that cannot take a few dents.

I guess your talking about a used boat. I have a 15'11" alum v-hull ,50 hp o/b, and all the fixins and wouldn't dream of trying to tow it with a 4cyl car. (unless turbo and nitrous assisted) The v6 S10 i had when i bought the boat didn't tow it very well. I have never had 3 adults in my boat fishing as it would be too crowded for the way i cast!