Sign in to follow this  
maseyferguson05

Buying a belly boat

I thought about it and instead of having to deal with a canoe, i'm going with a belly boat. Anyone use these? I'm thinking i'm going to want waders, so i have to start looking.

Anyone have a tube they like? I'm trying to keep it under 100 bucks.

Really?, i have a hard time justifying throwing a canoe in the back of my truck everytime i go fishing but i see alot of people do it. Maybe a 13' small canoe would be best for me and a small trolling motor

I wanna be known as that person who everytime you drive past the Town Hall pond(nasty water, nobody even sticks their toes in)you see in the middle of the pond in a belly boat, rain or shine.

Fatcat keeps you higher out of the water.  Get a tune for about 150 It will keep you out of the water.  Waders, fins and tube add up.

I second the kayak.  Best money I ever spent.  I hardly ever use the 12' jon anymore.

+1

A kayak will get you more places than a belly boat. If you've got 6"-8" of water, you can float out into it and fish. It'll also allow you to carry more crap than a belly boat, like extra rods/tackle/water bottle/snacks.

There are pros and cons to both.

Tube pros:

-A tube is lighter and handier. I attached backpack straps to mine (comes with clips) and can haul it anywhere.

-You can rig it to hold a lot of gear.

-A tube is less costly.

-Tubes handle wind well enough, if you rig up a single lightweight anchor. Tubes turn on a dime, allowing instant re-positioning. Canoes can be a bear in the wind, and require double anchoring.

Biggest tube cons:

-Tubes are not as fast as a canoe, or esp a Kayak. You can cover water but you must plan ahead a bit.

-Tubes sit pretty low in the water, but then so do Kayaks. Wide beamed canoes can be stable enough to stand in, but they are not fast and are a bit of work to get around.

If you decide to go with tube, get one of the high floating U-shaped tubes. I have a FishCat at ~$150.00. You sit higher and the U-tube allows you to add a multiple rod holder.

Tube.jpg

I've had both a kayak and a belly boat.

The kayak I sold and the belly boat i fish in all the time.

For me the ability to carry it on my back to remote ponds and fish where others can't go is great.

Being able to kick and keep in place while casting is also a benefit.

Nothing wrong with canoes and kayaks, but for me a float tube was the way to go