Jump to content
LegendaryBassin

Garmin 106SV Ultra (Garmin Advice)

Recommended Posts

Looking at getting the new Ultra series a shot from Garmin with the UHD transducer. How do y'all like the Garmin units? Do you think they compare to the Lowrance units? 

 

Considering getting the 106 SV and the 102 SV ultra with livescope but it's expensive so want to hear peoples thoughts. Is the Ultra worth the extra over the 93sv if on the bow only for livescope? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get the biggest screen that is within your budget.  Especially for Livescope.  The UHD54 transducer is built into my Force trolling motor and it is amazing the quality even at super slow speed.  I've got it paired with the 102SV Ultra.  My Livescope on the trolling motor is on a 8610.

 

SE Kansas grass grower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two 93SV Echomap Plus units with Livescope and the UHD transducer...  I added the UHD last and it was a worthy upgrade.  In hindsight, the ultra units come out to a better retail price.  I got my whole setup for

$600 x2 93SV

$1500 livescope

$-400 UHD Used on eBay

For $3100+ Tax.

 

With the ultra, you can use the LVS-12 -$500 livescope add-on.  You could get one for the bow and back of the boat, lol!!!

 

UHD actually makes me use the down and side imaging.  Before UHD, it was just foot to see what the blobs were from the chirp sonar.  Now, i see so much finer details and fish!  Bottom detail is even better, you can see beds and other items.

 

Garmin has a company has been very good to me. I have had 6 of their units and I still have 5.  from black and white all the way up to my current setup. I also use Garmin in the field when I'm hunting. Garmin customer service is outstanding I have called them and always get someone from America, usually Kansas.  Be a questions about the unit or customer service and replacement, all have been handled with high-quality.  

 

I have never used humminbird, but chose Garmin over hummingbird in all my previous purchases because the features , interface, and price. I really like the interface of the Garmin units in comparison a hummingbird. I have one lowrance unit that I hate and I purchased a hook 2x unit that I hate it even more. I did have a lowrance elite TI 1.  I thought I would keep that one, but then I decided to go livescope and Iam so glad I did. I do like the feature that Lowrance has that distinguishes fish into the arches on the down imaging screen. Now with the UHD, I have clear readings.  With livescope you can actually see if they like your lure or not. You can see if they run or if they come. Fish are curious they pretty much checkout everything.

 

If you are going to make a plunge for the units and you are preparing for the cost, I don't think you can do any better with Garmin. Get the best screen resolution you can.  Size is important, but resolution is key.  Many times, the screensize is just stretched.  You get the same detail, just a bigger screen. 

 

My only issue right now is that I was originally going to upgrade to an ultrex, but now I am trying to raise another $3,000 for the Garmin Force.  Thankfully already have my wife's buy in. She's the one who convinced me to go all out on the livescope. She didn't know what it was or how much it cost, but she told me if I was going to upgrade make sure it's my last upgrade and get what I want, lol!!!

 

Below are photographs of my UHD sonar taken with a cell phone.

20190424_201339-1008x756.thumb.jpg.f81b584ac7d3d6c82c121130f8fcef9b.jpg20190425_202647-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.30881eacadc6cd82a7b46a98d6ce183e.jpg20190425_202634-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.03167d5693da3c5e712138bcd643eab7.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last upgrade....lol.....that is funny.  🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, jaimeastin said:

I have two 93SV Echomap Plus units with Livescope and the UHD transducer...  I added the UHD last and it was a worthy upgrade.  In hindsight, the ultra units come out to a better retail price.  I got my whole setup for

$600 x2 93SV

$1500 livescope

$-400 UHD Used on eBay

For $3100+ Tax.

 

With the ultra, you can use the LVS-12 -$500 livescope add-on.  You could get one for the bow and back of the boat, lol!!!

 

UHD actually makes me use the down and side imaging.  Before UHD, it was just foot to see what the blobs were from the chirp sonar.  Now, i see so much finer details and fish!  Bottom detail is even better, you can see beds and other items.

 

Garmin has a company has been very good to me. I have had 6 of their units and I still have 5.  from black and white all the way up to my current setup. I also use Garmin in the field when I'm hunting. Garmin customer service is outstanding I have called them and always get someone from America, usually Kansas.  Be a questions about the unit or customer service and replacement, all have been handled with high-quality.  

 

I have never used humminbird, but chose Garmin over hummingbird in all my previous purchases because the features , interface, and price. I really like the interface of the Garmin units in comparison a hummingbird. I have one lowrance unit that I hate and I purchased a hook 2x unit that I hate it even more. I did have a lowrance elite TI 1.  I thought I would keep that one, but then I decided to go livescope and Iam so glad I did. I do like the feature that Lowrance has that distinguishes fish into the arches on the down imaging screen. Now with the UHD, I have clear readings.  With livescope you can actually see if they like your lure or not. You can see if they run or if they come. Fish are curious they pretty much checkout everything.

 

If you are going to make a plunge for the units and you are preparing for the cost, I don't think you can do any better with Garmin. Get the best screen resolution you can.  Size is important, but resolution is key.  Many times, the screensize is just stretched.  You get the same detail, just a bigger screen. 

 

My only issue right now is that I was originally going to upgrade to an ultrex, but now I am trying to raise another $3,000 for the Garmin Force.  Thankfully already have my wife's buy in. She's the one who convinced me to go all out on the livescope. She didn't know what it was or how much it cost, but she told me if I was going to upgrade make sure it's my last upgrade and get what I want, lol!!!

 

Below are photographs of my UHD sonar taken with a cell phone.

20190424_201339-1008x756.thumb.jpg.f81b584ac7d3d6c82c121130f8fcef9b.jpg20190425_202647-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.30881eacadc6cd82a7b46a98d6ce183e.jpg20190425_202634-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.03167d5693da3c5e712138bcd643eab7.jpg

 

Can you easily locate fish on DI and SI? Do you have any pictures? Thanks again buddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LegendaryBassin said:

Can you easily locate fish on DI and SI? Do you have any pictures? Thanks again buddy

 

I rarely use down and side for fish. Can you see fish, yes... But the fish are usually white specs.  Bigger fish, you can see them a little more.  I usually have down/side on with chirp sonar.  So I will see the cover and the specs and use the sonar to distinguish the fish.

 

I will go out and get some pics or make a video.  I know I can record the sonar and DI/SI... but I have not found a way to record the livescope.  @Sprocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jaimeastin said:

 

I rarely use down and side for fish. Can you see fish, yes... But the fish are usually white specs.  Bigger fish, you can see them a little more.  I usually have down/side on with chirp sonar.  So I will see the cover and the specs and use the sonar to distinguish the fish.

 

I will go out and get some pics or make a video.  I know I can record the sonar and DI/SI... but I have not found a way to record the livescope.  @Sprocket

That would be so awesome if you could. Ultimately, I just want reassurance. They are expensive so I was hesitant until I hear how people like them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In order to record LiveScope I'm pretty sure you have to go to the GPSmap series through Active Captain.  I don't think you can do it with the Ultra series.

 

SE Kansas grass grower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...