Lake Chobt Suggestions (SF Bay Area)

Brandtj6

Hi -- I used to do a fair amount of bass fishing back in the midwest, but have not done so since I moved to California about 5 years ago. Hoping to get out to Lake Chabot this weekend, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for tackle, techniques, locations that have worked well on that lake. I'll take whatever I can get. 

Thanks!

• Super User

3 years ago lake Chabot product a giant 19 lb LMB creating a lot of fishing pressure.

We have had several threads on this lake in this forum. To date I haven't had any positive feedback regarding suggested techniques and presentations.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 10:56 PM, WRB said:

3 years ago lake Chabot product a giant 19 lb LMB creating a lot of fishing pressure.

We have had several threads on this lake in this forum. To date I haven't had any positive feedback regarding suggested techniques and presentations.

Tom

Disagree. There is almost no pressure on Chabot. Sure guys fish it but I rarely if ever see another bass angler on the water other than the guys that used to work the marina. 

On another note, if you want to fish chabot you need a trolling motor (strongest transom mount minnkota makes) that can handle the wind there, 2 12v batteries because you'll blow through them if it's windy and that extra weight makes those crappy row boats blow around less. Do not rent a boat with the crap they rent. It will die and leave you stranded.  If it's windy you wont even get out of the marina. 

I'll be down in December over the holidays. I'll take you out.  We can go chuck swimbaits.  Don't expect to catch anything at that time of year though. I'll show you the entire lake tell you what's what , where etc. I know the lake very well. Last time I fished it I had over 30 bass over 6lbs and caught only 1 2.5lber.  It's rarely that good and you have to work for the bites. There is a lot of pressure (trout and catfish people in droves) and you'll have to grind to get 5 bites. if you go on a weekday the boat rentals are only like $25 bucks for the entire day.