Sign in to follow this  
Newman12Fan

Jon Boat Battery Mount

My winter project is to redo my 14' jon boat.  But for the rest of this summer I am going to use her as is.   I am going to put a transom mount TM on this week and I am wondering the best way to mount the battery.  I do not want to just place it on the floor incase some water comes in.

I figured to spend the least amount of money in the long run, I will go ahead and set it up the way it will be for my mod.

So would you attach plywood to ribs in the rear to place the battery box on, or would angled aluminum be more sturdy?

Thanks

I got mine right on the floor with a pretty water tight battery box. I would need so much water in there to cause an issue that I would have other things to worry about at that time.

Plywood on some 2x4s is enough aluminum is lighter but you can use either and be OK

Oh yea battery box at Walmart cheap and will keep her dry.  I had a downpour while I was stuck out on the river two weekends ago, lucky I moved my batteries to the bow the previous week to balance my OB motor I had 7-9 inches of water in the back. I installed a  bilge pump 12 buck from Walmart just in case since then

I agree the battery box is the way to go

You can go 2 ways here

1.Untreated plywood on the transom

2. This mount lets you use a transom mount motor on the front of a jon boat, no drilling and good control 30 bucks at Cabelas. Here is pic and a link

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0023818016806a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=jon+boat+trolling+motor+mount&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=jon+boat+trolling+motor+mount&noImage=0

post-16127-130162912097_thumb.jpg

They got 3 pretty consistant negative reviews on that puppy. Have you used it yet? I would be curious to see if you share their opinions.

Two of my friends have them, I have a tin row boat with a vee up front. Both of them used a kind of rubber to shimmy in the mount so it did not move around, I belive they made them out of bicycle inner tubes, at negligable cost. When I see them on the lake i will ask. I did fish with ne of the fellas recently and he used it all day, never seemed to have any trouble, then again I never asked.He had a 30# Min Kota on it, and I have the same motor, it is obviously made of plastic, and these guys have been on the Chunk as long as I have, however I have not one on my boat.

Dominick

That's a good review. If you don't mind ask you bud next time you are out. Bass Pro had a similar list of reviews. One dude lost his motor. The problem is, you have no idea how they were using it what the water conditions were, what they had on there, etc.

I had to build my own contraption for mine, which I am not to keen on. If this guy would work, I would use it, IF i can get the 12 volt motor I use for trolling into it somehow.

I would think there was a slipping problem at some point because both of these guys had a homemade rubber gasket in the part that touched the boat handle I went with LBH's reccomendation of untreated plywood on the transom. I would like someday to switchover to a deeper Jon Boat and put a hand controlled motor up front.

Muddy, you might want to tell the folks why you use untreated plywood with aluminum boats :)

Thanks for that! I actually just googled it when you posted that. It makes sense but I would not have thought the stuff used to pressure treat would corrode metal like that. Wow! Learn something new every day!

Yep, my father in law want to use it on my boat and I explained how bad it was, he did,t believe me until I showed him some pics

Do you have any of those pics you can post. Maybe open a new thread on it. Really, I never would have even thought it. In fact, I would have leaned towards pressure treated to deal with the moisture on a boat. I

Would be a good general warning to put out there for the newbies like myself. I know the local Bass Pro sold out on Tracker Topper Jon boats 2 or 3 times this spring and summer so there are a TON of them out there this year. I imagine a lot of newcomers like myself.

so would you use untreated wood and then use a water seal like Tompson's?   I would think just untreated would not last very long

Muddy, you might want to tell the folks why you use untreated plywood with aluminum boats :)

Russ told me the chemiclas that are used to preserve the plywood cause corrosion of the aluminum. You fellas should ask him, he knows a lot in this area.

I just painted the wood after it was mounted and all the screw holes taken care of , with the same green Rustolleum paint I painted the hull with.

I painted all my untreated wood it sucked up a gallon and a quart total for my whole boat look at page 9 of the show your rides thread

I painted all my untreated wood it sucked up a gallon and a quart total for my whole boat look at page 9 of the show your rides thread

Thanks.   Nice boat

OOPPSSS!!  I sprayed it with flat primer first! Good Point, forgot that. ::)

I guess I should have primed it first, I even had extra primer too from painting the boat.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Hey I would never have known either. This is an excellent forum on the sight for doing build yourself projects; LBH , Flukey and a couple of others will lead you through it all. Just make sure to ask before you do something

Yeah, I have read all of there post multiple times, a lot of good information there!  Mine probably will not come out that good, but they will get many questions from me!

Was at my friend Dans, he has one of those mounts. It is an inner tube from a bike tire he uses to chock it, HE DID CRACK THE FIRST MOUNT, he uses a piece of plywood he cut and glued onto the second one. Two years use now with  no problems. I guess you have to improve on it , you can't just use them right out of the box, still an inexpensive alternative. I hope this helps.