Sign in to follow this  
snapshotmd

Sanitizing a boat?

Is there any way to clean or sanitize a boat, or fishing gear to prevent transport of nuisance species to other waters?

There are lakes in my area that restrict a boat from being used in any other body of water other than theirs.  I don't want to buy another boat cuz I don't have the $ or the room for one to fish other waters.   I'm thinking perhaps pressure washing the hull, or use a bleach mixture, or whatever.

Any suggustions/comments are greatly appreciated.

I would think that cleaning your boat after each trip would be ok, I wash my boat down and my motor after each trip.  I also connect up the hose to the motor and run it for a minute or two to clean the motor out since the waters I run in are pretty dirty sometimes.  

You can usually take your boat to the local self car wash and use a hot rinse cycle that will work well.  140 degree water will kill almost any small biotic species that is taking a ride on your boat.  Also a 10% bleach solution should do the job but might damage any fabric (ie carpet) on your boat.  

If you are really looking to clean everything you can get Liqui-Nox.  It's a phosphate free critical cleaning solution that should rid you of all your problems.  It's about $12/quart or  $40/gallon.  that would be 32 washes per qt or 128 per gallon.  Depending on the size of your boat you might just need 1/2 that to wash so doubling your washes.  I promise you will have the cleanest boat on the water!  It's easy to wash reels, baits and line with too.  

I would suggest using the bleach for your live well if you have one.  Just make sure you wash it out real well.  Also if you go the Alqui-Nox route DO NOT run it though your motor's cooling system as you will have a real big suds problem...best to use bleach for that.

be careful running bleach through your engine as bleach is highly corrosive it eats up the chemical injecters in our pressure washers in less than a year. In other words dont do it! Randy

You need to talk with the guys on ny bass * that fish the reservoirs. Boats get cleaned by the state and have to stay on a particular resevoir. Fish 6 reservoirs, have 6 boats. Tough but they deal with it.

I clean my boat almost everytime I get out of the water. I will wash it down and then wipe it dry and I will then put some spray wax on it to keep it clean.

-Nitroman ;)

be careful running bleach through your engine as bleach is highly corrosive it eats up the chemical injecters in our pressure washers in less than a year. In other words dont do it! Randy

Even in a weak concentration like 10 to 1 or 8 to 1? What concentration are you running through your pressure washers and are you mixing via the injectors? Not to make this a ticking match, just curious.

we run 4/1 water/bleach and then the injector cuts it down from there I think to 50/1 It eats up the injectors in around a year or two. It may not ever hurt a engine but I dont want to take that chance. From 20 years in Naval Avation I will also not use RTV on my tin boat as it is corrosive to alum. I work for Raytheon as a Radar tech and part time as a painter which is where I deal with the pressure washers. No problem asking me questions and having your own opinions as I spent 20+ years to ensure us all that right Randy

we run 4/1 water/bleach and then the injector cuts it down from there I think to 50/1 It eats up the injectors in around a year or two. It may not ever hurt a engine but I dont want to take that chance. From 20 years in Naval Avation I will also not use RTV on my tin boat as it is corrosive to alum. I work for Raytheon as a Radar tech and part time as a painter which is where I deal with the pressure washers. No problem asking me questions and having your own opinions as I spent 20+ years to ensure us all that right Randy

That's interesting that you see that much corrosion.  I personally don't have a need to so a chlorine rinse but will keep that tucked away for future referance.  Thanks for the info.  

Don't waste your time they still won't let you use the boat outside the three main lakes.  Remember you are playing in the cities water supply.  I don't know what the penalty is but I imagine it would be a rather large one if they caught you.  Not worth the risk to me.

Tom D from MD

Try a simple heavy solution of vinegar and water it is non toxic, kills bacteria/ mold and even dissolves salt deposits and crud  and costs nothing. Perfect 4 keeping toxins out of your honey hole.