Sign in to follow this  
Tom H.

Need Idea's for my "new" boat project

As some of you know my boat was stolen awhile back , and the land owner gave me a v-bottom to replace it . Well now I need some ideas on how to go about making this vessel fishable . I know that I'm going to add a front deck , but would also like to add a floor . I need to make this as easy to move around in as possible , I fish quite a bit with my grandpa and he only has one leg . Anyway without further ado . Here is my project

IMG_0793.jpg

View from front to back

IMG_0794.jpg

View from back to front

IMG_0795.jpg

Now I will tell ya'll that I am not a big fan of V-bottoms . I'm still on the look out for a decently priced 12 -14' xtra deep,xtra wide flat or semi-v . I just want this one to be as comfortable as possible to fish out of until I find what I"m after

I would add some flowers and potted plants.   ;D ;D ;D

You may want to consider adding carpet to deaden the sound when fishing.

A small trolling motor will be very beneficial on the front.

A small sonar unit with the transducer attached to the trolling motor.  Do not attach wires too tight or the trolling motor will not turn due to the restrictive wires attached to the unit.

A 15 or 25 HP Mercury two-stroke motor with an unattached gas tank.  You may want to install a fixed gasoline tank on the boat and then you may not.

A deck, as you said, to stand and fish.

A ladder to help pull yourself back in the boat when you fall out or it tips over.  And I am serious.  I am going to put one on my boat.  Don't think it is hard to get back in a boat from the water?  Next summer give it a try.

An emergency shut off switch attached to the motor, if possible and a lanyard to attach to your PFD when under power.

A seat with a compartment under it for storage.  Two seats with storage compartments under them for storage. You can never have too much storage space.

A small insulated compartment for ice under a seat.

I know some of these are "wish list" items but give them some thought.

Have fun and be sure to post pics as you progress on your renovation.  :(

And don't forget to check out your state's Wildlife and Fisheries safety list that gives you the items you must have on your boat, such as a fire extinguisher, seat cushions, horns, first aid kits, anchor, lights, etc.

You will need storage space for the required items plus your tackle.

You NEVER have enough storage space on any boat.  :(

Flowers and Potted plants , now thats a good idea  ;D , and don't knock my trailer , that bad boy is OLD ! besides I'll get around to painting it when I paint my floatable flower pot  :( ,

Sam -

I've already decieded to implement much of what you laid out . Now it's going to be about time and money to do what needs done . I'm thinking that the middle seat is going to be taken out . Plan on decking the front end so there will be storage there , also want to deck the back and put a floor in . This will be a trolling motor only ride . So I don't need to worry about gas tanks taking up too much room .

Give me some more ideas fellas .

oh btw I'm thinking about painting it sky blue  ::) Ya know kind of camoflage myself from the fish

Perhaps you could add, some type of small explosive device to obliterate someone trying to steal it! Kidding.

1. You could pick up a cooler from Walmart and small aerator and build a cheap mans livewell (if you keep anything)

2. On the seats,  for your grandfather be careful on the height, I go out with mine quite a bit and even just the 11" post makes his nervous and uneasy, his balance is not what it used to be and he has 2 legs.

I once had a 14' deep V hull boat, had a 15 HP Merc on it and a 36 lb. thrust Minnkota Autopilot trolling motor on the front.

Mine looked deeper than that one does from the pics, it really was quite deep. I also built a front deck in mine and even though it did tip just a bit (not bad at all) I could stand on it and fish all day long just fine. I even had 4 people in that boat on more than one occasion.

Anyway, I put carpet in mine up to the groove that runs along the side of the hull from front to rear, and from there up on the inside I painted it. To cover where the paint meets the carpet on the inside of that groove, I used liquid nails adhesive and glued a piece of PVC pipe on the inside of that groove on both sides of the hull inside. I made sure to turn the side of the pipe that had the lettering on it towards the wall so all you see was the white pipe only. In that pipe you can run your wiring that goes from front to rear for trolling motor, front lights, any 12 volt receptacle you put in front, power wires for depth finder, just any wiring at all. It was just like electrical conduit basically but it was white and with my grey paint and grey carpet it made it look like it was supposed to be that way from the factory, gave it a neat and clean look and was a very good way to keep wires consealed and protected from accidental damage and UV from sunlight. It also keeps them above the water if it ever leaks into the boat any, or if you forget to cover it and it rains and fills up with water.  Copper wires submerged in water will corrode.  

Also if you build a front deck, you can leave the bottom of it exposed from underneath and use it for storage of things like boat cushions. I know you should have your life jackets on.......for safety and all.......but most of the time I had mine under there as well. I'd use 3/4 thick plywood to build it with and coat the surface with some kind of sealer, I used rubberized coating on the bottom of mine and the carpet glue along with the carpet was enough to protect the top of it.  I know it's heavy using 3/4 but it's sturdy and won't bend a lot on you.  

Well I would start on the trailer first going threw everthing from wiring to wheels bearings. only because it stands up to the most abuse,I just lost a wheel bearing on my ranger no fun to replace so do it now,

Then I like the idea of putting a floor in there it will be better to walk on a flat surface and easier for your grandfather to move around. May I suggest using treated lumber or at least seal the wood with resin before u put the top and carpet on, wood rots so fast.

I like to hide everything wiring etc  maybe put in a built in ice chest or live well I have seen some pretty cool idea on this site.

please take pics as you move along I really love to come on here and see what people do.

thank and good luck if U need help on ideas write me back I can find pic of other boats for you

Jim

I did a boat a lot like that last spring.  I made some mistakes, like using the wrong type of wood, which really cost me some time and mental anguish, but the layout really worked well.  Here's a link

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,463,00.htmlto

It's changed some and had some things added, but I run it with a 70lb. MK Vector on the back and a 36lb. MK All-Terrain on the front and it works well for anything under about 500 acres.  I would think you could rig it up really nice for about $1000.  Figure about $350 for building supplies, $500 for Trolling motors/batts (2), $150 for a fishfinder, and $70 for a Toho livewell, give or take $100 total and you'll be rolling, or, um, floating.

Parker

Thanks for sharing that link . You did a good job on that rig . Thats kinda what I had in mind for mine . Only time will tell how mine turns out .

I only wish I'd used different wood and grey carpet.  I think the weird colored carpet looks kindof chincy.  It was REALLY cheap though (like $2/ linear foot).  It's a great boat to fish out of.  I've fished everything from bass to crappie to walleye out of it and its performed well.  All electric is so reliable too.

Parker

Thanks for sharing that link . You did a good job on that rig . Thats kinda what I had in mind for mine . Only time will tell how mine turns out .