Sign in to follow this  
Dogface

Onboard Chargers

I just purchased a Pro Mariner onboard charger. The directions say I should leave it plugged in all the time and I have a couple of questions about that.

Can I just use it to charge up my batteries as needed?

Would that damage or hurt the batteries?

Has anyone measured how much electricity it would use if it was plugged in all the time?

Does the "maintenance cycle" really make the batteries last longer?

Thanks

Dog

I have 2 boats plugged in 24/7/365 with promariner chargers and I really see no different in my electric bill.

It keeps the batteries 100% all the time and I would say help the batteries be ready anytime I want to go, and battery life? not sure, but I get 3-4 years out of my batteries ( use them about once a week)

It will not hurt the batteries to unplug them after they are fully charged, but when the charger is in maintenence mode, it really does not use much power.

Its up to you. but I would just keep it plugged in.

I just purchased a Pro Mariner onboard charger. The directions say I should leave it plugged in all the time and I have a couple of questions about that.

Can I just use it to charge up my batteries as needed?

Would that damage or hurt the batteries?

Has anyone measured how much electricity it would use if it was plugged in all the time?

Does the "maintenance cycle" really make the batteries last longer?

Thanks

Dog

1. Yes you can use it to just do a charge and remove.

2. No it won't do any damage to the batteries or the charger.

3. The amount of power used with it plugged in all the time is very small, I would guess less than 1 or 2 watts so it would cost roughly 1 cent every 4 days.

4. Not necessarily.  Batteries last longer if they remain fully charged.  When not on charge they have a self discharge rate which will very slowly discharge them.  So long as that self discharge is small and you top the charge off every month or two they will be as good as on a maintenance charge.  If you are like me and forget them until next summer then the maintenance charge does extend life because it doesn't forget.

In addition to what Ann-Marie and HPBB said I would ensure the water level was okay. Maintenance free batteries are not maintenance free. Fill them with distilled water and check them every once in a while depending upon use. Pop the caps and fill them to the line of the battery fill hole. This will extend the life of your batteries.

Gals & Guys

Thank you! I'll leave it plugged in because like Ann-Marie I will forget and I do use the boat occasionaly during the winter.

Dog