Sign in to follow this  
Olebiker

Motorcyle helmet for cold weather fishing

My tournament partner this past Saturday suggested that I might want to invest in a full face motorcycle helmet for winter tournaments.  Anyone here use one?

When I was fishing tournaments in Missouri years ago, thats what a lot of guys used (me too). We'd buy the cheapest full face K Mart had. Makes for a much more pleasant blast down the lake.  ;)

When I fished the Virginia Tech Invitational on Smith Mountain early in season I wish I had one. It was horrible weather there was freezing rain, heavy winds, and some snow. I think my head was between my knees the majority of the ride. My partner had a goggles and his face covered.

Yes, absolutely.

Yes, a full face model with ski type jacket with a collar that zips up. A more expensive helment with adjustable vents to prevent fogging helps too especially if you wear glasses.

I can tell y'all rain @ 60 mph hurts  ;)

I suggest that you don't use the helment chin strap. The reason for that is a couple of guys I know had a boating accident in the winter when wearing heavy clothing and helments and were thrown out of the boat. The story they told about how heavy their wet cloths got and the almost impossible removal of the helments with cold wet hands and wet strap made the possibility of drowning a very real.

I went to the motorcycle shop yesterday and ordered a helmet.  My head is so large they had to order a XXXL.   :-?

I went to the motorcycle shop yesterday and ordered a helmet. My head is so large they had to order a XXXL. :-?

Dude tell me you didn't  ;)

Here's the real deal Fish Headz by Save Phace

SPSP-IT-big.jpg

I've heard less than flattering things about Fish Headz.  I kinda wanted a motorcycle helmet anyway, so I killed two birds with one stone.

I've not heard any problems with Fish Headz ;)  

Another option could be a full face paintball helmet.  Haven't had a problem yet using paintball helmets. ;D