Sign in to follow this  
farmpond1

Best boat trailor paint?

I'm in the process of removing old paint and rust off my boat trailor (before it becomes terminal).  Any advice on the best paint for resisting chips and rust.  (Especially chips!  Most of the rust on the trailor is the result of thrown rocks, etc).

Thanks in advance!

I plan on using 3-4 coats of Rustoleum (Roller and brush, NOT spray can). Let each coat cure for 24 hours and lightly sand before the next coat. Also, be sure to use a 1-2 layers of primer.

If you have rust go with POR-15. You can put it on and not worry again for the life of the trailer.  If your trailer has a square tube frame get a cotton mop and run it up the tube to coat the inside.  You can make a handle out of PVC to get all the way in there.  But make sure to put a top coat of paint on it as it does react to UV light.  But $ for $ it's your best bet.  I painted the frame of my 1971 Landcruiser with it 7 years ago and have not had a problem since.  well worth the $44/quart.

Thanks for the advice.  I've already been using an angle grinder/wire wheel to hit the rusty spots.

Brute - I doubt I'll go the powder coating route (although I'm sure it would work well) as I believe I'm only going to "spot paint."  But thanks for the suggestion.

Can anyone provide a strong arguement for not spot painting?

71 Rig- who makes POR-15?  What kind of top coat do you mean?  Is POR-15 a primer?

Low-Pro - Where's the best source for "non-spray" Rustoleum.

As with every project, things are becoming more difficult than first appeared.  But it gives me something to do on these cold winter days.  I'm less concerned with appearance than in performance (rust protection) as I plan to keep the boat/trailor until the wheels fall off.

Low-Pro - Where's the best source for "non-spray" Rustoleum.

I get mine from Wal Mart...  they have all of the basic colors (green, red, blue, black, white, etc.)  They sell them in quarts or gallons.    I'm getting ready to do my trailer as well.

71 Rig- who makes POR-15? What kind of top coat do you mean? Is POR-15 a primer?

www.por15.com  that is a good start and they can tell you where to get it from.  You can top coat with almost any paint from Rust-o-leum to a top end automotive paint.  

One thing to look at is how much rust you have and how bad it is.  Sometimes you wire wheel and scrape till there appears to be no rust only to prime and paint and get a rust bubble in the paint in 6 months.  I just like doing things once so I went with the POR-15.  Plus you can treat the areas you don't see the rust growing.  That way the wheels will fall off prior to you rusting out.

my $0.02