Sign in to follow this  
skillet

carpet glue

I've done cabinet work before. This included making counter tops, using plastic laminate and contact cement. Said all that to ask this. I have 3/4 of a 5 gal. can of contact cement left. Wondering if this will work with carpet. I know it would for indoor use, not so sure for a boat. Is there a cement made specifically for outdoor use? Thanks...

skillet

contact cement is all I ever use. Works a hellavalot better than any carpet glue. In areas you're going to need to arrange a piece before you want it to stick, cover the area with wax paper and don't press down on it or the crapet. Once you get you carpet in position, slide the wax paper out. No different than doing laminates.

I don't know anything about contact cement and carpet, but carpet adhesive adds a water-resistant layer.  I've used it on plywood flooring and decking on my boat.  It's gotten its share of soakings and the carpet is stuck down as tight now as it was when I first applied it.  

Contact cement is more expensive than regular outdoor carpet glue.  If you already have that kind of quantity than go ahead.  When I re-carpet I normally use Henry's carpet glue to cover large flat surfaces like floors, compartment lid tops and flat deck area's.  I use contact cement for verticle surfaces, lid edges, corners, small pieces, etc.  It's much easier to work with and you get a sure bond once the glue starts to set up.  

I use both glue and contact cement.

What I did was use the outdoor carpet glue for the center of the carpet all the way until the last 2 inches of the lid then I contact cemented all of the edges and wrapped them to the underside and then use carpet staples to secure it. As a carpet guy I do that because your not using so much contact cement and your not fighting it to get it in place.  the contact holds the edges tight once allowed to tack up. The outdoor glue won't hold the edges in place like contact cement, THat's why I use both