Sign in to follow this  
fivesixone

Transporting a Bass Raider/Pond Prowler

I know this might be a long-shot but I figured I'd ask anyways...

The girlfriends buying me one of those little 8-9' Pond Prowlers or the Bass Raider for Christmas! I haven't decided which one yet, though. Anyways, I'm trying to find an easy way to transport it if I wanna go a little farther away from my neighborhood lake. I drive a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo... Options I've seen so far would be to get a cheap small trailer and get a hitch, or to install some roof racks. Both of these are rather expensive (over $150, for my car at least) and I'm looking to do it on the cheap since I probably won't need to too often.

My good friend has a Dodge Ram, so it's not going to be too much of a problem throwing it in there and strapping it in, but I'd like to know in case I wanna go out myself.

Can anyone suggest anything?? Thanks in advance! ;)

One options is to put a blanket underneath it and avoid the roof rack altogether. Or sit a couple pool noodles underneath it as a poor man's roof rack. Dang I'm a freakin' geniuos!  ;D

Well, I have a pelican 11' jon boat and I put it in the back of my ford ranger.  Putting the boat in the water is not a problem, but taking it out and getting it back in the bed is.  When it is wet, it takes a few tries before I can get it in by myself.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is more of a hassle than its worth.  I would suggest you get a trailer.

Okay, thanks for your input guys! I think that pool noodle idea might work somewhat until I can afford a trailer...

I'll be on the lookout for some trailer hitches for my car. Good thing I've got plenty of time.

instead of the just the noodles cut them in half and use tie strap through the door while the door is open. I used to do this with a canoe and it worked really well.