Sign in to follow this  
PezJunkie

older boat help

I own a 1988 Skeeter 18.5' with a 150 Merc Blackmax. I have a problem getting this boat over 49-50mph just wont do it, I'm running a 23pitch tempest plus and its three inches below pad. We have tried different props, raising motor and still nothing anyone ideas oh and compression on the boat is great .

I have to ask....Did it go faster before?

I mean, has it all of a sudden dropped to 50mph from a higher speed in it's earlier days?

A higher number pitch may help but it will affect your low end torque and your speed coming out of the hole.

Given the age, I'm assuming this is a Starfire model.

1. How are you measuring your speed? Speedometers are terribly inaccurate. Old speedometers are even worse.

2. Starfires were known to rot out due to water getting into the hull from the transom. You may have water logged foam adding way too much weight.

3. Have you had the engine put on a dyno by a tech?  How do you know this engine is fully winding all the way out?

I own a 1988 Skeeter 18.5' with a 150 Merc Blackmax. I have a problem getting this boat over 49-50mph just wont do it, I'm running a 23pitch tempest plus and its three inches below pad. We have tried different props, raising motor and still nothing anyone ideas oh and compression on the boat is great .

I have the identical boat in my driveway. Currently have a 24 pitch trophy 4 blade on it that will push it 53 on GPS. The 24 Tempest 3 blade will add several mph depending on the load. That is about all you should see out of it. Are you running a jackplate? If so, what setback? We took the jackplate off this boat when we installed a new transom and it made no difference in the speed or handling.

1. How are you measuring your speed? Speedometers are terribly inaccurate. Old speedometers are even worse.

2. Starfires were known to rot out due to water getting into the hull from the transom. You may have water logged foam adding way too much weight.

3. Have you had the engine put on a dyno by a tech? How do you know this engine is fully winding all the way out?

X2 on the transom. They were also known for backing the screws out that hold the cap in place. If anyone is running one it is wise to pull the bump rail insert and tighten the screws about once a year.

3. Have you had the engine put on a dyno by a tech? How do you know this engine is fully winding all the way out?

1 I am using GPS for speed

2.I dont know if it is water logged  any why i can check but I can tell you I never have to run the bilge pump it is always dry as a bone

3 Engine never on dyno but the compression has been check several times

and Yes I am running a 6" jack plate

The older boats are heavier than the more modern designs.

I have a 1984 procraft f/s with a 150 2.0L merc and it tops out at 52 MPH.

If I removed the trolling motor and the two batteries I could probably get 55 MPH with a 23P.

Because of the hulls weight, I get alot of slippage with a 3 blade prop.

I am using a 22P 4 blade and it works OK. It is a compromise on pickup and top speed. I need decent pick up due to thick hydrilla here in south florida.

If you really want to go faster, put a 2.4L 200 powerhead on your mid/lower unit if the hull is rated for it. It should get you into the 60's.

I would just be happy with your rig until you can upgrade to the faster machine.