Sign in to follow this  
bassnleo

Anyone own a Ranger 518?

I'm taking a serious look at a 1999 Ranger 518 vs with a 1999 Johnson 175 hp.

Boat and motor appear to be in good shape and the price is reasonable for this model and year.

My question, can anyone give insight as to how this boat rides on rough water?

Anything else about this model anyone can provide would be helpful, thanks!

I have owned 5 Ranger Bass Boats. I have a 2002 185vs with a 150 Mercury which I have no problem with in rough water. The only one I got wet in was my 1st. A 1974 DTR-10. I just bought my 5th a 2008, Z-21 with a 250 Yamaha so for the present I have two. I fish on Santee Cooper which can get pretty nasty. I know this is not the boat you were looking for answers on but there were no other post at the time so I thought the 185vs is close & I have had in some real rough water so what the heck. ;)

If you are looking for rough water ride, there are boats that do a better job of that.

scbassin, thanks....

cart, I'm not necessarily looking for a boat that will always be used in rough water. I do fish Erie pretty often and of course on some days it can be rough. Generally, that will be as bad as it gets around here.

Just looking for input as to the 518's abilities.....

scbassin, thanks....

cart, I'm not necessarily looking for a boat that will always be used in rough water. I do fish Erie pretty often and of course on some days it can be rough. Generally, that will be as bad as it gets around here.

Just looking for input as to the 518's abilities.....

I fish Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri often.  It's a lake that gets really rough due to extreme recreational boat traffic.  A rough water riding boat would be the first thing on my list and Ranger would not even be on it.

Champion, Charger, Stratos are a few I'd look at.  The Ranger is a really nice fishing platform but getting to and from the fishing spot in rough water isn't one of it's strong suits.

Cart,

Your experience must be the exception, and not the norm.  Ranger boats are built for rough water.  I've been a A LOT of different boats, and Rangers have provided the driest and most comfortable ride in my book.  

True, the Genmar line of boats are all pretty seaworthy, so it's hard to go wrong with any of them.  But Ranger boats are the best for rough water, unless you go with v-hull boats.

I'm thinking you might have been in a Ranger who's driver who wasn't as skilled at rough water handling than others.  It's a whole different ball game when you get into rough water, and ONE wrong move can get you soaked - in ANY boat!

I don't like to down any reputable boat manufacturer but I will agree with Cart.  I have riden in numerous Rangers over the years and the ride is not as good as many say.  I fished BFL's as a non-boater for 3 years and fished out of numerous Rangers and did not like the ride.  I understand that the driver is a major factor in how a boat performs in rough water but it couldn't have been the driver that many times.  As recent as last year I rode in a Z-19 that really fell short in that area and that was driven by an Elite series competitor so I can eliminate the fact that he might not have known how to operate his boat.  Ranger's are nice don't get me wrong but there are better riding boats.  Take a look at Skeeter.  

P.S. make sure you check out the deck lids on the rear deck of the 518 I have been in two where they have started to get "soft" and cave in when standing on them.  

Once again, I am not trying to down Ranger because I would rank them in my top 3 (Skeeter, Champion, Ranger).  They are very nice boats but, just like all of them, have things they can improve.

I'm buying a Ranger when I find the one that fits what I'm looking for and I'm not really interested in another brand. I have varying reasons for wanting a Ranger. One significant reason is all the Ranger contingency money that is offered for Ranger owners in the ciructs I fish.

I have hidden in several Ranger models, Z-19, Z-20, 520, 195 (2), R-91, R-93, 364V. They all did fine for me.

Just have never been in 518 which is why I asked my original question.

Cart,

Your experience must be the exception, and not the norm. Ranger boats are built for rough water. I've been a A LOT of different boats, and Rangers have provided the driest and most comfortable ride in my book.

True, the Genmar line of boats are all pretty seaworthy, so it's hard to go wrong with any of them. But Ranger boats are the best for rough water, unless you go with v-hull boats.

I'm thinking you might have been in a Ranger who's driver who wasn't as skilled at rough water handling than others. It's a whole different ball game when you get into rough water, and ONE wrong move can get you soaked - in ANY boat!

I owned a Ranger V hull. I've also had the opportunity to own a Skeeter, a Charger and 2 Champions. I've also fished out of the 300, 400 and 500 series Ranger models as well over the years. I can say of the boats, the Rangers were dead on the best on the water fishing platform but ride wise, it just didn't excel.

Rangers slower speeds weren't at issue, it's merely the design of the Rangers that forsake the deeper V wedge hull with a steeper dead rise (that offers the smoother, drier ride in rough water) in favor of a flatter V which improves stability while on the water at rest but at the same time, compromises rough water handling. Bass boat design is all about that, it's a compromise between the type of hull that will offer maximum performance and smooth rough water ride vs a hull that provides a lower profile, flat, stable platform.  Most of the major, mass assembly manufacturers have chosen one of the 2 concepts (I've left off high speed) over the years and have made their mark selling that style of hull.  

I never would've brought the rough water issue up but Leo did state he would be spending a lot of time on Erie, a lake that can get dangerous in a hurry. When choosing a new boat, a lake like Erie will make you stop and reconsider boat choices. In this case, I'd sacrifice some fishability in order to gain a superior rough water handling that a boat like a Champion has become legendary for over the years.  

BTW, I'm not even pushing Champions.  If you really want the best tough water ride you go out and buy a Storm Boat.  A little pricier but considered by most as the best tuff water boat on the water.