Sign in to follow this  
OSU Rooks

Trolling Motor Problems

Got out on the water today for the first time since the fall, and my trolling motor some how got broken.  The pointer indicator is now broke and I believe one of the steering cables broke.  The trolling motor just kind of swings about and there is no control to it.  The trolling motor is a Minn Kota All Terrain 65 # 24 volt.  So I have two questions.  

1st - Does anyone know what might have caused this, or what the problem might be?

2nd - Do you all think it would be more practical to fix the parts on the one I have, or put a new one on it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

For your 1st question I'm not sure I can help.

2. Id say with the market now, it will be very expensive to put a new one on your boat. I would pull it apart and try to figure it out first.

Thats just what I would do, for one I'm broke and can't afford much and 2 I'm a decent handyman. ;D

OSU, so a web search for trolling motor repair and call or e-mail one of them with your symptoms. You will get an educated analysis along with recommended parts to repair it. Most are very helpful and eager to please.

Your brand, serial number and model number should be handy to assist with the trouble shooting.

Wayne I have a quick question for you. I emailed a trolling motor company looking for a part but they haven't gotten back to me yet and that was over 2 weeks ago. Do you know of anyone off the top of your head that I could email that will actually respond, I'm not sure what the part is but it is an older TM and the peice I need is the peice that helps guide the motor itself over the bow and onto the bracket.

Take the 4 screws that hold the head together, pop the top off, you will see were the cables go to the pully. It might be broke right there. If this is the case lossen cable and move metal piece back to second set of holes and re tighten cables.

If the cable is broke in the foot petal take to a repair shop it is a bear of a job.

Garnet

NitroMan, yes I know two that have excellent service.

This one is in Louisanna-----http://www.trollnmotors.com/

This one is in Texas on Lake Fork----http://www.trollingmotorparts.com/

Those two and the one in Woodbrigde near the turn-off on Rt 1 to go to Leesylvania State Park (don't remember the name) are the only ones I deal with.

I emailed a trolling motor company looking for a part but they haven't gotten back to me yet and that was over 2 weeks ago.

Call them.  I know of a lot of people and buisnesses who don't check email often.

Thanks for all the tips.  I pulled off the top cover and the little plastic piece that holds one of the pulleys together broke off, and I don't see anyway to rig it to get it back fully functional.  

Lake Fork 800-588-2019

Have the model and info on hand.   Call them, they have the part or direct access to factory parts to ship to you.

The top and bottom pieces are 20-25 each easy to change. Just loosen the cable under the wire and cable entry on the foot petal. And that pulley were the cables go tape the cables on the pulley.

When you re install make sure your foot petal is in the right position and your motor is point strait ahead.

Garnet

Some of the older AT's had an issue with the plastic pieces in the head that hold the cable drive plate down breaking.  If you order a new upper and lower head assembly you get the new beefed up version. IIRC, you also got a new gear?  Maybe not, anyway I had the same thing happen to my AT 55.  Not a real big deal to change out.