Sign in to follow this  
Jig Man

Boat Buddy

I got one as a gift a while back...  never got around to installing it.  ...lol

I think it would constantly allow a gap between the unit (roller) and hull since the steel bar that throws across is like 3/8" and the loop in most boats is much larger.  Any gap allows the boat to bounce, which always sucks going down the highway.

Anyway, that's why I never installed it.  If I can remember which box it's in, I'll sell it cheap.   ;)

The next time I am at Bass Pro I plan to look at them up close and personal.  If I like the way the look I might be interested in taking yours off your hands.  Decide what you want for it shipped to MO and get back to me later this week or early next.

i had one on my trailer but it was junk! the pin would not lock in when i would run the boat on. and you also need to have the boat buddy at the perfect angle and with mine i had to replace the hook on the front of the boat. there is more work to those than it seems my experience with them just made my blood pressure rise.

i had one on my trailer but it was junk! the pin would not lock in when i would run the boat on. and you also need to have the boat buddy at the perfect angle and with mine i had to replace the hook on the front of the boat. there is more work to those than it seems my experience with them just made my blood pressure rise.

I've heard the same things about the Boat Buddies. I suppose if you went to the same ramp everytime and the water conditions were always the same and you knew the thing would work there it would be a minor time saver.

Otherwise, steep ramps, shallow ramps, water too high, water too low, etc. will all play into whether you can drive the boat onto the trailer properly to get the thing to latch properly.

Well I got a hold of one at BPS last night.  I opened the package and played around with it for a while.  It wouldn't even close without a boat eye in it.  I guess I won't be owning one until they make a lot of improvements.

ya thas what i am doing. i would run the boat up on to where the pin was supposed to latch shut and nothing and after a couple trys it became bent and worthless everything would have to be perfect for it to work.

I've had two boats that had the Boat Buddy's already installed when I bought 'em. The first worked about 50% of the time, the other one worked great about 90% of the time. I was told that you need to hit it pretty hard coming onto the trailer to get the best results. I did that with the second boat and it worked out pretty well for the most part.

All that said, I think they're way overpriced but I'd consider putting one on my current boat if I found a good deal.  

I have one on my trailer.  It was on there when I bought my boat.  I love the thing.  I have not had any problems with it.  My next trailer will have one too.

i have had two different ones i have a 195 ranger  the first one i bought  was for boats under 20 ft well you have to hit it right on or you will bend it  that makes it junk  the second i bought was for bigger boats  thinking it would be made stronger it is  but again if you cant hit it right on its bent and junk  it the water is dead calm  where you can get a perfect shot its ok but if you are off a little   JUNK   DONT WASTE  YOUR MONEY