Fishing Spots and Advice - Washington DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland

FLV

Hello,

I am relatively new at fishing in the DMV area and currently live in DC central. I dont have much experience of Bass fishing, I used to fish in Europe when i was younger, mostly panfish and carps. I am happy to fish anything that can bite... it is always a good time ! I dont mind catfish or carp fishing, but those are not my current target - I would prefer aiming for game fish (any type) or panfish.

I have tried several spots close to DC as I dont have a car and do not have a plan to have one, but who needs a car when Uber/Lyft can get you almost anywhere in the DMV area :) 

Here are the spots I have tried and unfortunately due to a mix of lack of knowledge, skills and luck...I have not been very successful..

Tidal basin: Seen many fishes and heard a lot about this place as a good fishing spot  - Used crankbaits, soft plastics 
Haines Point/opposite of the Titanic Memorial: fished a clam and a snail ..... tried with rooster tails, grubs on 2 jig heads, fishfinder rig with nightcrawler
Gravelly Point, on the right side of the boat ramp: tried with Crankbaits, soft plastics - did not see anything expect someone catching some close to the wall leading to the Roach Run/Sanctuary
Columbia Island marina: on the right side of the paddle/canoe ramp Crankbaits, soft plastics - did not see anything

Columbia Island marina: Under and near the bridge going into the Pentagon lagoon - did not see anything
Dyke Marsh: the back of the marina, between the land and the marina - seen a lot of what seemed to be carps going to the surface

Here are my questions in case any kind soul is happy to take few minutes to help a fellow fisherman to have a better time :

1. From what I read - I believe those spots have fish. Are those spot fine and I should keep trying in those areas ? any particular bait/lures ? 
2. Do you know any other spots that can be interesting ? Of course topics about Fletcher's Cove, Anacostia River park, Kingman Island exist online but those area are so big, any specific area ? 
3. Any advice on the rig to use ? lures ? color ? 

I believe I have the required equipment to fish for game fish and panfish but surely need more practice, and always better to practice in a spot known to have fish! If I fish an empty area...I can keep trying...

Thank you very much in advance for your help!  

• Like 1

1. From what I read - I believe those spots have fish. Are those spot fine and I should keep trying in those areas ? any particular bait/lures ? These spots have fish, but they are all tidal, so be mindful of the moving tide. I prefer a falling tide on the Potomac. But look for moving water and structure or eddies near them, that's where predatory fish will be. I use this site to check tides: https://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/potomacsites.html

A texas rig worm or craw is always a good choice, but I prefer to power fish with a chatterbait or spinnerbait. A popper in the right conditions.
2. Do you know any other spots that can be interesting ? Of course topics about Fletcher's Cove, Anacostia River park, Kingman Island exist online but those area are so big, any specific area ? Add Four Mile Run to your list, or Rock Creek Park, and even the C&O Canal in Georgetown. There are lots of YouTube videos of people catching in those spots.
3. Any advice on the rig to use ? lures ? color ? I like white, and green pumpkin. It just depends on the water color. The color in the Potomac around DC varies a lot, but something I always like something flashy that sticks out. For me, the lure is dictated by where/what I'm fishing. If it's pads, I'll throw a weedless frog, stickbait, or even fluke in there. A popper on the edges, or chatterbait/spinnerbait parallel to the pad line or grass line. If it's wood, a spinnerbait or jig. If it's an open flat, chatterbait or shallow crank. Just keep trying lots of presentations until you get confidence in something they like, and if you're limited to bank fishing, keep it simple. You'll break off a lot so don't throw expensive $30 swimbaits. A $3 paddletail will probably get you the same bite, but a lot less monetary loss. Same goes for line, spool up 40lb braid, and use a two foot 15lb leader so if you break off, it'll be the leader and not 30 yards of braid or other main line.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for those information ! This can only be helpful ! I will try again and let see how it goes... 

I recently went to Lake Artemisia, beautiful place but too many people ... especially those who want to chat ... left quickly 

• Haha 1

• Super User

Junger gave you a good rundown but in all honesty, DC proper leaves a lot to be desired shore fishing for gamefish and panfish.  Carp and catfish are plentiful and easily caught but for a shore angler it’s a tall order.  I was a guide on the Potomac and even with a boat it’s rarely easy.  For some real fun google Fletchers Boathouse and keep tabs on the Shad and striper runs.  You can also rent small boats there. 

• Like 1