Sign in to follow this  
CATCHnRELEASE

New Rod?

So I'm thinking about getting a new rod but I am kind of torn right now. I am looking for a 7ft or 7ft 6inch heavy, fast action rod. I am going to use it mostly for jig fishing.  All I use now is one piece rods but I am considering getting a flipping stick with the retractable butt section.  Anyway, my question is whether the retractable butt section effects the overall sensitivity of the rod because it isn't one solid piece and what do you guys prefer to use? One piece rods or extension rods with the retractable butt section?

I can't stand the retractable rods. They are to heavy and they don't seem to have the sensitivity that a one peice does. I own two retractable rods and I don't use them very often. My best jig rod is a 7'6" heavy Dobyns Rod. I love it.

I have a 7'6" Bass Pro Extreme Flipping Rod and I do not like it at all (one reason is the telescopic butt section). It is heavy and doesn't seem to have much sensitivity. I am looking at the G Loomis Mossyback 7'5" Heavy Powered rod. It is much lighter then the BPS Extreme and it is one piece (I would consider the GLX version of this rod, but I didn't want to recoil guides, because I use braid on my flipping stick). My Bass Pro Extreme rod will become a musky bucktail rod (you don't need much sensitivity to feel a musky hit).

Consider the G.Loomis MBR844C.

This is my dedicated jig rod, but if I only had one rod, this would be the one.