Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Spinning crankbait rod

I am hoping someone can recommend a quality spinning rod I can use for crankbaits/top/jerks. I am looking for one that will handle medium-large lures 1/4-3/4.

I was thinking about the BPS Crankin Rod, but it only comes in a Baitcaster.

I HIGHLY suggest a Medium Heavy casting rod for these applications, because a casting rod will give you much more power for using larger baits and more leverage when fighting a fish, I reserve spinning rods for light line/small bait tactics. And if you don't like casting reels or aren't very good with them I really urge you to pick one up and get good with it.

But if you are set on a spinning rod then try a 6'6" or 7' Medium Heavy spinning rod that has an extra fast tip.

Guest the_muddy_man

In my price range, and 2 rods I have used when i was primarily spining for crans i would use

!. Eagle GT in med heavy  in 6'6" or 7 ft

or if you want Glass: at bps sire Browning Silaflex

There are a lot more choices in many pricing ranges, these are what i used and liked.

Guest avid
But if you are set on a spinning rod then try a 6'6" or 7' Medium Heavy spinning rod that has an extra fast tip.  

Respectfully disagree with this recommendation.  Medium power rods are much better suited for treble hooked lures.  Also a slower action will give the fish a change to take in the lure before you rip it away.

The one thing I can agree on is that a medium power rod with an extra fast action, gives a great snappy action to walking baits. but with that caveat in mind, I'd go medium power,  with a soft tip.

Guest the_muddy_man

AVID WROTE  I'd go medium power,  with a soft tip. That will not get you anywhere with Angelina

AVID WROTE  I'd go medium power,  with a soft tip. That will not get you anywhere with Angelina

Do you think she'd be any happier with the extra fast tip that basspro48 suggested?  ;D

For goodness sakes, this is just my opinion but, for crankbaits and spinnerbaits go with a baitcasting rod in a M to MH with a moderate action.

OK, if we're going to get serious then I agree with his 100%.

You asked for a spinning rod, so I won't say get a baitcasting rod.

First, pick out a line of rods in your price range, then I'd look at the line and lure weight ratings on the rod. You'll find that most vendor's medium-heavy power spinning rods are in the same general range as their medium power casting rods. For your listed spec's, it seems to me you'll want a medium-heavy spinning rod. 3/4oz is bit outside the range of most medium power spinning rods.

As far as action goes, if your going to be throwing cranks most of the time, I'd suggest a moderate to mod-fast action. If you're throwing jerks and topwaters most, then a fast action may be the better choice.

You didn't give a price range so here goes.

On the low end, the Lighting rod is hard to beat for the money

St Croix Avid's are on sale just about everywhere. If you can find one, they're probably the best bang for the buck right now.

Team Daiwa Light&Tough rods, at around $120, are an every day good value choice.

My favorite spinning rod is an Airrus Tradition. 7'2" MH power, mod-fast action. With shipping, around $180.

Bass Pro puts just about every line of rods they make on sale a couple of times a year. The Extreme's, Pro Qualifier, and Clunn series rods are all great values when the sale is on.

Cheers,

GK

I HIGHLY suggest a Medium Heavy casting rod for these applications, because a casting rod will give you much more power for using larger baits and more leverage when fighting a fish, I reserve spinning rods for light line/small bait tactics. And if you don't like casting reels or aren't very good with them I really urge you to pick one up and get good with it.

A pool cue for cranks ?   :-?

A pool cue for cranks ?   :-?

A Heavy action flipping stick is a pool cue, a MH rod with a nice soft tip is not a pool cue. Plus a MH rod can handle the larger 1/2-3/4oz baits much better than a medium action rod. Now if you are talking about throwing a Bandit 100 series or any other small or medium sized crank then yeah a Medium action rod will perform better with those baits. But after listening to Rick Clunn and KVD talk about how they use MH rods for a lot of their treble hook baits I started doing it and I haven't lost a fish due to my rod choice yet. That's just my opinion.  

at one time I used all MH rods for everything like Rick Clunn says- I lost some fish using the MH with cranks- began using M for cranks and found my fish landing ratio increase.  It all depends on the size of the crank being tossed tho- if you are using a heavier rod for treble hooked baits try to lighten the drag that will help keep the trebs in the fish- make sure you keep line tension tho