Sign in to follow this  
MattDPVN

Line kept breaking

We'll about three months ago, I bought a cheap Shakespeare spinning combo for around 30$.  I was just gonna use it as a back up, or if a friend needed a pole.  So the day I bought it, I put 12lb test on(recommended) and went in the back yard with a 1/4 oz weight.  After about five casts, the line snaps, and the weight flys.  I didnt think anything of it at the time, so I just threw it in the garage.  

So, last night I went out, and brought it.  Line snaps, crankbait gone.  I look at the line, and its good, so I start looking at the guides, sure enough the second to top one has a small crack in it.  So i run line through the damaged guide to make sure I was correct, I was.  

The problem is, Ive never replaced a guide on a rod.  It almost seems melted on, how do I replace it without damaging the rod.

Dumb question, I know.

thanks matt

Take the combo back and get a new one, and then replace the line, if you want a mono/copolymer/fluoro I would go with Yozuri #6. If braid I would say Power Pro 20 lb test/6 lb diameter. Either way put new line on it and quit losing lures. :o

His line isnt the problem. Its that chipped guide on the rod. I dont know how to fix it but it does damage your line alot. But yeah if you just got it dont try to fix it just take it back.

It will cost more to fix the guide than the rod is worth. Keep the reel & get a new rod. JMHO

Ronnie