Sign in to follow this  
Numpty

How is the Shimano Callisto?

I did a search on this site for it and came up with nothing ...... I take that as a bad sign.

It may be moot if I do get the Citica but I thought I would ask.

The callisto was the first bc I ever owned. It is good for around 35 bucks, and can take a beating. I fished it in fresh and salt, and it kept on going. It's not super smooth or super light or anything, but it's a dependable real at a decent price.

The Callisto was the first BC I owned.  I like it and still use on occasion.   It's next to the lowest quality in the Shimano line and it has plastic gears.  It's cheap.  But I learned how to throw a BC with the reel.  It's a good starter BC.

Do not buy the Callisto. It was my first BC reel and it sucked. It looks good. It's shinny. But the performance was horrible. Even for a begginner BC user I realized that. The drag sucks and started making weird noises. I took it back to Gander Mtn. for another one. Same problem after a few casts and fish.

If you're looking for a good beginner BC reel, go with the Daiwa Procaster 100H. I think it is 7+1.

Just an update....I picked up 2 reels off of ebay this week.

A Citica and a Callisto....they were sold together...they are used but the seller had a good rating and were described quite thoroughly.

I will let you know how they work out when I get them.

Thanks for all the help

I did a search on this site for it and came up with nothing ...... I take that as a bad sign.

It may be moot if I do get the Citica but I thought I would ask.

If you purchase one....

I have been in touch with them on several service issues with that reel, and have been told that owners with any type of issues with the reel should contact Shimano CS

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!