Sign in to follow this  
flippingjig

Sideplate removal

I'm looking to remove the right side sideplate on an RH Quantum Energy E760PT.  The left side is a twist off, but I've remove 2 screws on the inside of the reel frame and a stabilzer bar that stretches side to side and still can't figure how to get the right side apart to get at the gears.  Also, how do ya get the handle off this reel?  Most have a cap held on by a screw to remove the handle, this one doesn't.

Thanks in advance

fj

478716889.jpg

here ya go...... :)

To remove the handle; tighten the star drag all the way down. Push and hold down on the handle ratchet (black round ratchet located under the handle).

Note: If the handle ratchet is hard to push down , you might need to hold the spool and rotate the handle forward slightly. Then twist the handle backwards to remove.

NEW TOUR EDITION/ENERGY BAITCAST HANDLE RE-ATTACHMENT PROCEDURE 1. Tighten down star drag (key #63). 2. Make sure handle washer (key # 66) is inside handle. 3. Attach handle, hold the spool with thumb or push down thumb bar and hold then turn clockwise until tight (right-handed reels).

NOTE: For left-handed reels turn handle counter clockwise. 4. Back star drag off before storing reel. This will prevent drag washers from flattening.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

Thanks for the removal procedure ReelMech... any idea on getting that gear side sideplate off?  In my rookie attempts to get the sideplate off, I removed an E clip on the inside of the reel frame (release slider guide pin) and the pin retreated and now it's floating loose in the gearing so that side has to come off.  I learn thru making grave mistakes, can you tell? LOL

Thanks

fj

here ya go...... :)
To remove the handle; tighten the star drag all the way down. Push and hold down on the handle ratchet (black round ratchet located under the handle).

Note: If the handle ratchet is hard to push down , you might need to hold the spool and rotate the handle forward slightly. Then twist the handle backwards to remove.

NEW TOUR EDITION/ENERGY BAITCAST HANDLE RE-ATTACHMENT PROCEDURE 1. Tighten down star drag (key #63). 2. Make sure handle washer (key # 66) is inside handle. 3. Attach handle, hold the spool with thumb or push down thumb bar and hold then turn clockwise until tight (right-handed reels).

NOTE: For left-handed reels turn handle counter clockwise. 4. Back star drag off before storing reel. This will prevent drag washers from flattening.

Even though i do my own work on reels and trust myself this man is the GOD of reel repair ...aint got no work done by him yet but im thinking about getting him to do my work soon his advice has helped me many a time and i learn something new each time 8-)

yeah, I've been lurking here for some time now and realize that ReelMechanic is second to none at his craft as well as the first to help others with their own repairs.  I love to do my own maintenance and I do some cleaning and lubing for friends as well.  I'm looking at getting better which is why I came out of the shadows and finally joined this site.  

On the topic of the sideplate, I still can't see how it comes off... the schematic I found online is better than the one that came from Quantum in the box.  Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance

fj

flippingjig,

Do you have the schematic open on this reel? Because it will tell you what screws hold that side plate. If you don't I wouldn't open that reel without it.

You have 3 screws.

Schematic key; #8 gear side cover screw-B (x2)

key; #23 gear side cover screw-a (x1).

Don't lose any parts.... :)