Sign in to follow this  
RobbyZ5001

standard rod and reel setups need advice

Right now I have a the following

6' Fish Eagle II casting graphite 10-17lb 1/4-3/4oz with a Pfluegar Trion reel

6' Okuma Solaris IM6 Graphite 4-12lb 1/8-1/2oz and a abu garcia 103 reel

6' berkley lightning with another abu garcia reel

I know this is FAR from the best gear. I am in college and the spending is a little tight, but I am looking to buy a new setup to start assembling my basic setups. What would you suggest I use these 3 rods for? What would you suggest I pick up? I currently use the 6' lightning as a topwater setup, the Fisheagle II as a crank setup, and the okuma as a finesse setup. I'm looking at buying another spinning setup and looking at quantum spinning reels. Thanks- Robby

Abu Garcia is a fine reel maker. Don't get caught up in the hype of having the most expensive stuff.

I fish with a lot of guys and somewhere in their rod locker is an Abu reel. It may be just for

Carolina rigs, but they are usually there. The higher end reels have their merit but I don't know if fishing is

your occupation. I prefer mostly 7 foot rods. You can find great rods used all over. There is a guy on this page with a Gblank for

a 110.00 bucks and I dont know why that hasn't sold yet. I would definatley recommend a Shimano Stradic over any Quantum reel.

I think Quantums suck and I know I will hear about it from people on this page. I am not a die hard Shimano person either I think most of their spinning reels suck as well but the Stradic for the money and it's going on close out everywhere is awsome for the money.

Stick with what you have. You haven't "outgrown" your gear until you start discover what techniques suit your style. After you gain that experience, you will know what you want and what to look for when your tastes for more specific function rods increases.

You didn't specify the actions of the rods, but I can guess that the first is probably has a medium heavy action. This should be decent for most single hook applications like t-rig soft plastics and jigs. I am willing to bet the second is a spinning set up and by the traits you specified, it is probably a medium action rod. This would make it a fair "all around" rod that could work for topwaters, crankbaits and other treble hooked lures and drop shot/finesse in a pinch.

Since there are a number of different models in the lightning rod series, I can't make a good guess on the third rod without its traits. Anyway, the first two rods can cover much of the lures for bass fishing outside of super heavy cover scenarios. I say stick with what you have until you graduate. You do not want to acquire your own

bait_monkey3-1.gif

Like I said, you don't "need" anything else, but if you "want" other gear, that's a different deal altogether! ;D

Maybe there is no such thing as an "all-around" combination, but this is pretty close:

6 1/2' or 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action, spinning or casting.

Right now I have a the following

6' Fish Eagle II casting graphite 10-17lb 1/4-3/4oz with a Pfluegar Trion reel

6' Okuma Solaris IM6 Graphite 4-12lb 1/8-1/2oz and a abu garcia 103 reel

6' berkley lightning with another abu garcia reel

I know this is FAR from the best gear. I am in college and the spending is a little tight, but I am looking to buy a new setup to start assembling my basic setups. What would you suggest I use these 3 rods for? What would you suggest I pick up? I currently use the 6' lightning as a topwater setup, the Fisheagle II as a crank setup, and the okuma as a finesse setup. I'm looking at buying another spinning setup and looking at quantum spinning reels. Thanks- Robby

I second islandbass. Pick up some tackle here and there trying out different things. See what works for you and the lakes you fish. Once you know what you like to use or need to use on your lakes, then the forum can help you pick out the correct set up. When I was going through post secondary school I fished with 3 cheap setups. A medium glass rod (still use that rod), a medium heavy spinning combo, and a medium light spinning combo. I'm sure glad I waited until I could afford more and better equipment. It's nice to have the selection and nice stuff, but, IMO, it's even more enjoyable knowing your at the point you can afford it without thinking twice about it.

Guest muddy

ILANDBASS, gave you the best advice. Ihave switched so many times it is ridiculous. I know what I like now and have made way too many changes before  growing into my style! :o