Sign in to follow this  
MskSlyr

Problems with Abu Garcia's

For some of the larger species that I fish for I have a few Abu-Garcia's Ex:6500, 7000. I keep them maintained according to the manual but on two of them after I cast they do not engage quickly. It is not everytime but quite frequently you have to turn the handle a significant distance to get the reel to engage. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Sounds like it's time for a servicing.  I've had that problem in the past on a couple reels but a good clean and re-lube always fixed it.  I don't honestly remember if it was something sticking from dirty build up or a worn part....  I'm guessing the former since I was never charged extra.

MskSlyr,

The grease that the reel was originally lubricated with, in the release rachet arm and pinion yoke areas is getting old. Time to clean and re-lube your reels.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Thanks to both for the response. Reelmechanic I had a suspicion that is was a lube issue and I have torn them down as far as the manufacturer recommends but I am nervous about going any farther. How difficult is it to tear the abu's down completely to do this? You know these products inside and out would it be better for me to have someone service the reel? Thanks in advance

MskSlyr,

How difficult is it to tear the abu's down completely to do this? You know these products inside and out would it be better for me to have someone service the reel?
For me it takes 30 min to brake one down to just the frame, clean and lubricate it.... :o

It is always better to have a qualified service tech do the work. But if your mechanically inclined and used to working in modules you can do it...

"but never without the reels schematic in front of you".

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

For some of the larger species that I fish for I have a few Abu-Garcia's Ex:6500, 7000. I keep them maintained according to the manual but on two of them after I cast they do not engage quickly. It is not everytime but quite frequently you have to turn the handle a significant distance to get the reel to engage. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

I have allot of Abu Garcia 4601 5501 and a 6501. I have had similar problems in the past on the older reels. What has usually been the problem with mine is the engaging tooth was worn down to nothing. I take it to my repair place and its down within a few days if he has the parts in stock. I infact have a 5501 that is doing that now that I plan on taking to the repair shop.

Reelmechanic thank you very much for the specific details. I broke out the schematic yesterday, tore it completely down and lubed the exact points you recommended. Went back to together just fine and it is working like a new reel. Thanks again for the great info it really helped.

No problem.. 8-)

That section of the reel should be C&L every fall.

Tight Lines!!!!