Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Ugly Stik Lite

I know many people absolutely despise when Ugly Stik and bass fishing are mentioned in the same sentence, so don;t string me up for this post. However, I will same I am very impressed with Ugly Stik Lites. I purchased three this past spring in hopes to use for bass rods and medium pond trolling for trout and broodstock salmon. I found myself favoring my two ML Glass rods for mostly fishing cranks, jerks, and spinners. I recently spent the majority of my fishing outing the other day using a M power US Lite. I was casting the 1/4 ounce X-Rap and I couldn;t have asked for any better performance from a rod.

A little on the modifications:

- More graphite in the rod=lighter weight and much more sensitivity. I can actually feel my lure moving through the water. I never can feel my lure when using the original Stik.

Also, the Lite models have a faster action when casting, but do have quite a bit of flex when really pulling(I got my Rap caught up on an old tire and was trying to pull it out and the rod completely "U" bent. The sign of a good moderate action rod. I think that this helps espeically with lighter line spinning guys because mroe rod give takes the tension off the line which means getting away with lighter line. I was able to get the xrap out far with minimal effort(this may be due to the weight transfer in the lure itself)

-No more "whippy" tip. The Lites do have a soft flexable tip, may be considered whippy to some, but not even close to the origianl's tips that were like wet sphagetti.

- More line eyes= seems to makes for better casting, and probably accounts for more feel.

- Cork handles= look better, and I think I read they are more sensitive than foam.

There are certainly lighter and more sensitive rods out there that would do much better as jig/plastic rods and flipping and pitching rods(including topwater frogs), but for a reliable, light, sensitive rod for horizontal presentation, the ugly stik lite is a great choice for the guy who wants to get three rods for $120 and not just one.

I personally think I will carry my 3 Lites for cranks, jerks, topwaters, and other horizontal presentations

and invest in an expensive MH high end graphite for jig/worm/frogs/buzz and spinnerbaits. I have had ok luck fishing single hooked presentations with glass/compostie, but to really stick the hook hard when fishing a worm or even a buzz or spinnerbait, you need to be able to set FAST.

Has anyone else tried these rods? If so, what did you think?

I have used it and they aren't bad, but for about the same price, you can get something as humble as a Shimano Convergence rod.  Better graphite, better guides out of the starting gate and a better warranty, which is lifetime vs 5-7 years.  It is also probably a lighter rod.

I am not knocking the Ugly Stick lite at all.  It is sufficiently sensitive for me, but since I am budget minded, I would prefer to invest in other rods at that price point with more enticing traits such as components and warranty.

Sound like rods that work well for you.  8-) Use what you like, like what you use.

I don't buy Loomis rods becouse I have piles of cash laying around that I need to spend, I buy them becouse those rod feel good to me and make my time on the water more enjoyable. If you like the US lites, there is nothing wrong with that. The other half likes her light US for panfishing, but I can't stand that wet noodle rod.

Sound like rods that work well for you. 8-) Use what you like, like what you use.

I don't buy Loomis rods becouse I have piles of cash laying around that I need to spend, I buy them becouse those rod feel good to me and make my time on the water more enjoyable. If you like the US lites, there is nothing wrong with that. The other half likes her light US for panfishing, but I can't stand that wet noodle rod.

Exactly. It's what you feel comfortable using.

My stepdad uses an ugly stick and he had just as much success with his rod as I did with my higher priced one while we were fishing a pond. Fishing weightless plastics.

But if we fished deeper water with a shakey head rig than I probably would waste him because of the need to feel the bottom and those subtle strikes.

But in truth the US isn't going to be as sensitive as other rods. But if your catching fish and you like it, than thats cool. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh! I forgot to mention that my wife's uncle only fish's with ugly sticks.  When he took me fishing with him, I knew he was a good angler but he smoked me nearly 3 to 1 with two ugly sticks, one of them being sub 6' ultralight. He landed the biggest bass of the day with that rig, 4# test and a frickin' yellow rooster tail.

I didn't slouch either. I caught 35 bass that day and lost just as many.  Do that math and you'll know I got smoked like a cuban. Old school and the ugly stick ruled that day.

Guest avid
I know many people absolutely despise when Ugly Stik and bass fishing are mentioned in the same sentence

No not despise.........................laugh hysterically maybe,

but definitely not despise.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Rosie O Donnell got hit with the UGLY STICK

Atsa me muddy  

J/K - If it works for you, then it's a winner.  

Oh and I forgot to mention that Rosie O Donnell got hit with the UGLY STICK

I just about fell over cracking up! ;D ;D Poor Ugly Stick!

Also, the Lite models have a faster action when casting, but do have quite a bit of flex when really pulling(I got my Rap caught up on an old tire and was trying to pull it out and the rod completely "U" bent. The sign of a good moderate action rod.  

Can you explain??  Bending in a "U" would describe an  ultra soft action. (way ultra)

when I was pulling against a sucken tire that I had my lure caught on, it bent a lot. I guess it does have sort of a slower action when stressed to the max. But it doesn;t fish like a slow action rod.

Any rod will bend in what appears to be a slower action when they are overloaded... actions are typically measured at 1/3 deflection at 90 degrees. Give me an old tire and I can show you a "slow" looking IMX, GLX, SCV, SCIV, etc. ;)