Sign in to follow this  
aggiebassin

shimano scorpion

what u.s. shimano reel does the scorpion compare most closely to?  what size are they 100? 200?

and if anyone has one and has a pic i would like to see it.

thanks in advance

There's a picture in the "Classifieds" ReelMechanic posted two that are now sold. But there is a picture.

what u.s. shimano reel does the scorpion compare most closely to?

thanks in advance

Actually, no reel compares to it, it could be compared to the old Curado 100B or if you want to make a comparison with what 's available now it would be the Citica 100DSV.

IMO the 50 MG is closer than both the old CU100B and current CI100DSV are.  Here is what Jun says about them...

http://www.japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano_Scorpion_1000.htm

4x4SVS dial adjusting brake system and ultra light whiffle spool make the Scorpion 1000, 1001(lefty) totally souped-up hot reel. Scorpion casts light rigs superbly. The small great palming body ensure the comfort fishing for pitching and flipping anglers. The difference to most comparable Chronarch MG50 is that the body of Scorpion is made from Aluminum alloy, instead of Magnesium of MG50. The 4x4 brake system is only for Scorpion reels.

i know it said it is comparible to the 50 mg, i figured since it is made of aluminum i thought it would be like the curado 100....but i could be wrong.

anybody know anything about he drag? is it like the other 100 sized shimanos?

Jun is basing his comparison or trying to make a comparison by trying to update the comparison between the Scorpion and the Chronarch Mg based on the spool characteristics and capability of the reel to cast light baits with ease, however I really don 't think that a reel that weights 2.5 ounces more and has other features can be compared mano a mano with the ChMg. Actually the equivalent of the ChMg is the Scorpion Mg. I have the three of them and I do not agree with the comparison Jun is trying to make.

Aggie, what you read in the reviews is pretty much what you will get from "real life" experiences, as baptized by the TT crew, the reel really is a legend and for many of us our first experience with a JDM, it had a lot of virtues, was a better caster than the Curado 100B, had the cold forged handle, septon contoured knobs, metallic cast control cap, low mass further lightened spool, external brake adjustment and the price was not that bad.

But not everything was milk and cookies, shorter handle that for some is more a drawback and the drag even though very smooth is light better suited for lighter lines and finesse fishing than what we were used to.

Wanna hear my take ? right here, right now with all the new improvements Shimano has made to It 's domestic market reels the Scorpion now doesn 't looks like such a great purchase unless you can get it real cheap ( you missed the GinRinPeche sale ), the new Shimano reels in that size are a better bargain, they are lighter, have better drags, better bearings and equal or similar components.

Now if what you want is the "bling" associated to owning a JDM that 's another story.

Raul

thanks, that is what i was wondering.  by the time shipping and all it would not cost much less than a curado 100 and if they are gonna cost about the same i would rather buy one from around here that way if i ever have a problem with it i could always take it back.

thanks again

Raul

thanks, that is what i was wondering. by the time shipping and all it would not cost much less than a curado 100 and if they are gonna cost about the same i would rather buy one from around here that way if i ever have a problem with it i could always take it back.

thanks again

Exactly.

Price of Scorpion at JT = $170 + $15 S&H = $185

Price of Curado 100D at Delo 's = $165 + free shipping.