Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

For us Spinning Guys

There are a lot of reason to stick with spinning rods. I like them because O have been fishing with them for years and years, since I was a little kid. I am comfortable fishing with them, and they get the job done. The ONLY problem I have found with spinning rods, especially in freshwater fishing, is that almost every rod only does up to a model that will cast no more than 5/8. What if I want to throw a 3/4 Rapala crank, or a 7/8 Heddon Spook? Well, I'll tell you what I do. I just came across In Shopre spinning rods. These are rods that are meant for lighter salt water species, come in freshwater MH and H sizes. Reviews have told me the blanks are no bigger than freshwater rods.

I am thinking about getting a couple of these for larger lure throwing. Just thought I'd share this with you other spinning guys. Now we can have baitcasting attributes like stronger rods, and more lure weight with out the bird's nests. Thanks God for helping me find these rods and [ut an end to my dillema.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&id=0017639316451a&navCount=97&podId=0017639&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

Take a look at Shimano's Clarus and Compre model rods. I have a 7 ft MH that is rated 8-17 # line and up to 3/4 oz. lure.  The Compre which is a step up come in MH model rated up to 7/8 oz lure. Also I believe the MH St. Croix Premeires are rated up to 3/4 oz. as well

I use a Berkley Vertic VTC601M for baits up to 1.5oz. For bigger baits (up to 3oz.) I use the Berkley Vertic VTC682H.

Take a look at Shimano's Clarus and Compre model rods. I have a 7 ft MH that is rated 8-17 # line and up to 3/4 oz. lure. The Compre which is a step up come in MH model rated up to 7/8 oz lure. Also I believe the MH St. Croix Premeires are rated up to 3/4 oz. as well

Big T beat me to the punch. I have the compre MH that can toss a 7/8 lure.  These rods are out there, but you just have to do a little searching.

That 7'9" looks like a good swim bait rod to me.  7/8 to 3 oz. Heavy Fast.  Although I am a novice and have never used a swim bait rod.

There are lots and lots of spinning rods out there that can throw up to 20, 30, 40 lb line.  Just gotta look little harder.

I struggled with the spinning vs. casting debate for awhile. I really thought I wanted to be an exclusive spinning reel fisherperson. Here is what I ened up concluding.

I didn't want the added weight of the larger reel required to use the larger baits. I decided that using lighter baitcasters is a better option than larger, heavier spinning reels. I had, in years past, a larger spinning reel for larger baits, so I knew what I would be getting into if I bought a new larger spinning reel. Ultimately, that was a deciding factor in having both baitcasters and spinning reels. Others may not mind the added weight/bulkyness of the larger reels, but I was not interested using that type of equipment again.

I know there are larger spinning rods out there that will hold significantly heavier line, but I am looking for something that will be comfortable to fish with, and not a huge, heavy rod like a BWS Ugly Stik. Even a Shaksepeare Tiger Lite rod would probably be too big for bass fishing heavier lures. I think an inshore rod is the best choice. Then I can use a regular size reel. Approx. 150 yds. The inshore models I was looking are rated for 10#-20#. I would probably only add the upper end of that spectrum to a reel for big plastics in heavy cover. I would mostly stick with 10-12 for cranks/topwaters/and jerkbaits so I wouldn't lose a lot of depth of cranks, I may buy a new reel that comes with an extra spool. So if the reel is rated for 10, 12, and 15# I can spool one with 10 for cranks and one with 14-15# for plastics. WIth maybe like a 20 or 25 lb. fluoro leader.

I guess they would be considered saltwater rods, but I have a shimano teremar in ml and h action, and I absolutely love them.  There are many rods out there to choose from though

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll use Shimano Stradics as an example (a popular reel).

I use a reel that is under 8 oz, a lot of casting reels are in the 8 oz range too.

In order to get a Stradic to use 14 lb line, your over 13oz for a reel, to use 16+, your over 21 oz's!!!!! That's a lot of reel. For me that would have been nearly 2-3 times the weight. I'm not trying to sway your decison, just giving you something to think about when deciding. Something that ended up being an important factor for me.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll use Shimano Stradics as an example (a popular reel).

I use a reel that is under 8 oz, a lot of casting reels are in the 8 oz range too.

In order to get a Stradic to use 14 lb line, your over 13oz for a reel, to use 16+, your over 21 oz's!!!!! That's a lot of reel. For me that would have been nearly 2-3 times the weight. I'm not trying to sway your decison, just giving you something to think about when deciding. Something that ended up being an important factor for me.

That's with mono.  The answer is to use a superline.  

Most 2, 20, or 2000 size reels will weigh between 8 and 10 oz. (depending what you want to spend) and will fish 10-14 lb superline just fine.  There are 4, 40 or 4000 size reels that weigh between 10-11 oz. that can fish 14-20 lb. braid and balance very well on rods suited for bass fishing.

Such set ups do very well in both the salt and fresh water applications.  I think these heavier spinning set ups are more common in the salt because those guys often must fish in the wind where a spinning outfit can cast farther easier, while freshwater anglers are more likely to "get out of the wind" and maybe less interested in casting distance.  

I appreciate what you're saying. I didn;t really think about the reel weight that much. I did notice however that some of the larger capacity reels were close to 20 oz. I know this is heavy. I think I'm just going to have to get a baitcaster and practice with it in a field and not when I'm fishing. Ruining a fishing outting because poor reel skill wouldn;t be that fun. practicing it when i'm not fishing seems more reasonable since I'm more willing to spend time with it and not put it down and pick up a spinning rod to fish with.

That saltwater rod seemed pretty good. I do think however, if bass will be your only targetted species, go the the compre that meets your specs. I have the two piece version, but there is a one piece model too.

CPS66MHB 6'6" Medium Heavy Fast 8-17 3/16-7/8 1 2.25" 7.75" T+7  (2piece = CPS66MHB2)

This rod is capable of setting the hook with single hook lures, fishing crankbaits and topwater, and even drop shotting.

Good luck on your final decision. I love the excitement of being in the hunt for new rods, but I dislike the anguish and wishi-washiness of going back and forth between the choices and being paralyzed by indecision.  ;D