Sign in to follow this  
Laurentino

Gear for Big Swimbaits

Ok guys, I'm going to experiment with the swimbait craze before it goes away and I sleep through it. I have acquired a St Croix Legend Tournament Mega Swim Bait rod (8', XH, F, 20-50, 3-8 oz baits). This big ole rod is listed at 7.0 oz. I also have a little stash of baits. What I don't have is a suitable reel. Clearly I need a big one. I have looked at Calcutta 300 and 400 and the Daiwa Luna 253 and 300. Someone suggested a Shimano Curado 300 DSV. If that's a big enough reel to balance OK on this big rod and has enough line capacity, I like the idea of a low profile rather than a round reel. I figure this may eventually evolve into a salt water rig, depending upon how much success I have with the big baits. I have little experience with anything in this class, your input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

I use a Shimano Calcutta 300TE reel on my heavy swimbait Okuma rod.  Don't know of a low-profile reel that would be appropriate although you might get away with using a Shimano Calais 200.  The Calcutta is the only round reel I use out of my active 10 rigs.

Dan

I use a 7' BPS Rick Clunn Rod in Heavy action with a Shimano Calcutta TE 200 series reel.  I load it with Berkley Big Game in 30 lb. test.  I usually use Strike King King Kong baits in 8".  Most of the time I am either fishing Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley,  or Lake Malone , and I have had great success in catching quite a few 10+ pound bass out of each lake.  

It does take a lot of patience since you might only get 2 to 3 hits a day, and then you might not get any at all.  You have to fish the big lakes, in my opinion to get the results.  Target big bass in deep cover.  

calcutta 300 or cardiff 300 .... now most guys in calli are using the 400 but imo you may not need all that reel .... depeneds on bait size and line size .... i would go calcutta 300 no dout .....

I use a Cardiff 300, if you don't care about their weight the Calcutta TE 300 or the Luna 253 are both considered excellent. I've never felt the need to go any bigger than that.

I like the idea of a low profile rather than a round reel.

The Revo S, is low profile, good line capacity and monster drag system. (no need for the SX or STX when casting big heavy stuff)  The TDZ-Big Bait Special is low profile reel with good line capacity, but high dollar.  I use a revo s now, I have a TDZ-BBS but didn't like it as much as the revo.

Here on St. Clair, Alot of us muskie fishermen use Abu Garcia 6500 C3, 6600 C4, or the Record RCN 60. We are chucking and winding baits anywhere from 2-8 oz. The reels are tough as bull dogs and very dependable, not to mention much more affordable.

Falcon