Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Abu Garcia Max baitcasters

I had a chance to mess around with these reels today (not fish them).  I have mixed feeling about them.

These reels LOOK like Revos.  But there are, obviously, significant differences.  The frames aren't aluminum, they are some kind of polymer.  Of the three reels, only the Pro Max had any sort of click adjustment - the drag star.  Otherwise, the drag star on the Black Max and Silver Max, and the spool tension knob on all three, have no click adjustments.  

The fit and is not up to Revo standards.  The chrome pieces (I call it bling) don't always mate perfectly to the frame like like on the Revos.  Some pieces showed slight gaps.  

The thumb bar is chromed plastic on all three models.  It's not the same design as the Revo.  The Revo's thumb bar is much more solid and screwed onto an underlying support.  The thumb bars on the Maxs are just chromed plastic, and hollowed out.  They seems to flex when I pushed them down.

Since I didn't fish these reels, the best I could do is depress the thumb bar and give the spool a spin.  I lossened the tension knob and set the brake to the lowest setting.  The spools spun but nowhere near as long as on the Revo.  The brake did seem more effective than the magnetic brake on the Revo.  When I set it to the mid-point, then to max, the spool slowed noticably and proportionally.

These reels look decent.  I suppose if you are spending $49.99 to $79.99 they will do - but expect to get a $49.99 to $79.99 reel.  BUT DON'T BUY THESE REELS IF YOU THINK YOU ARE GETTING AN INEXPENSIVE REVO.    These reels do not copare to the Revos.  IMO, if you can afford $79.99 for the Pro Max, you can afford $129.99 for a Revo SC at Cabelas.  Just skip a meal-out and you'll have the difference in cost.  I think you will be much happier with the Revo.  

Thanks i been waiting for this kinda detail.you ever had a chance to handle a 1003Lp ??  .Is this reel better then a Max??

I've fished with 1003LP's before.  Pretty solid reel for the money.  

Correction --- The Silver Max has a clicking drag star, too.  So, only the Pro Max and the Silver Max had clicking drag stars, not the Black Max.  None of them have a clicking spool tension knob.

Don't get me wrong about the appearance. The reels look nice.  The asthetic fit and finish is what I would expect from a reel in that price range, good, but not perfect.

I know money can be tight.  But I just think that in terms of value someone would be happier with a Revo than one of the Max reels.  The Revo S is $50 more than the Black Max, and just $20 more than the Pro Max.  You get a very nice aluminum frame and crank side panel with the S.  A few exceptions notwithstanding, the S has proven to be a very good and capable reel.    I just can't see buying a Max when the S is just a little more.  

I fooled around with a Silver Max at Dick's last night.  I wasn't impressed.

Oh well, I guess they've got to have something on the market for the cheapo...