Sign in to follow this  
12Outlaw

BPS Excel Mono

I would just spend a few more dollars and get suffix elite, but that's just me.  :)

Last time I used it was about four years ago.  Its not to bad if you respool about once a month, or more depending on how much you use it.

I started using it 2 or 3 years ago and like it just fine. I don't respool any more often than with Trilene or Stren. Usually I respool when the amount of line is too low for good casting. Where I fish we have little cover except for rocks and we have some toothy criters that abrade line so I check the line often.

It has become my mono of choice.

Over the last decade my fishing partner and I have gone thru many thousands of yards of Excel Mono in 12, 14 and 17# test.

Excel based on a line diameter basis is not as strong as Big Game, Stren Original, Trilene XT, XL or Sensation.  It is not especially abrasion resistant and it is somewhat stretchy.  Two positives,  it is inexpensive and it coils less than the other two mentioned lines.  It is an easy casting line.

I've gradually switched over to Stren Original in the past couple of years for several reasons:  I have switched almost entirely over to Shimano 50 MG reels so line capacity is reduced and 17# Excel is thicker than 17# Stren yet Excel (knotless) breaks at 19# and Stren at 21#.

My 14# test Stren breaks at 19-20 #.  So except for pitching I've gone to 14# Stren to get more line capacity.  And, more importanly Original Stren is very abrasion resistant and I routinely fish heavy cover, rock,wood and lilly pads and abrasion resistance is important.