Sign in to follow this  
IL_Bassman

a few questions on braid

I am sure these questions have probably been answered a few times but i searched the forums and couldnt find what i was lookin for. I am thinking about trying braided line and i've got a few questions regarding to it. I do apologize because im sure they have been answered many times. Thanks alot I appreciate it!

1. Is it safe to use on st croix avid series rods and shimano baitcast reels (citica and cardiff)?

2. If its safe to use on those reels, does it matter which model of the reels? If so which model would work the best?

3. Will it hurt to use it for all lures? cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits etc.

4. Should I use the biggest braid that will fit the reel?

5. Do you have to tie on a leader even though it will be visible in clear water?

Thanks again!

1. Is it safe to use on st croix avid series rods and shimano baitcast reels (citica and cardiff)? YES

2. If its safe to use on those reels, does it matter which model of the reels? Yes

3. Will it hurt to use it for all lures? cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits etc.Hurt?  No, but I wouldn't fish cranks with braid.  You need some stretch.

4. Should I use the biggest braid that will fit the reel? Fit the reel?  

5. Do you have to tie on a leader even though it will be visible in clear water? Leader is personal preference.  If you choose to not use a leader, use a black sharpie to color the last 5-10' of the line.

Thanks again!

By fit the reel i was meaning if the reel is rated 140yds of 12lb test should i use whatever size braid that is equivilent to 12lb mono?

That isn't a rating per se, just a statement of capacity.

But there isn't any reason (for me) to use anything but 50/12 braid.

I am sure these questions have probably been answered a few times but i searched the forums and couldnt find what i was lookin for. I am thinking about trying braided line and i've got a few questions regarding to it. I do apologize because im sure they have been answered many times. Thanks alot I appreciate it!

1. Is it safe to use on st croix avid series rods and shimano baitcast reels (citica and cardiff)?

Yeah, but is it safe to use a Shimano???? ;D

2. If its safe to use on those reels, does it matter which model of the reels? If so which model would work the best?

As long as the line guide is rated/made for braid you'll be fine.

3. Will it hurt to use it for all lures? cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits etc.

Braid floats, so it might give you fit's with some setups.

4. Should I use the biggest braid that will fit the reel?

It's best to use line rated for the rod or slightly heavier. One of the advantages of braid is the smaller diameter. It goes through the water with less resistance than the same test mono.

5. Do you have to tie on a leader even though it will be visible in clear water?

I do, but it's up to you what you want to do. I use a leader on all braid.

Thanks again!