Sign in to follow this  
maxke01

New rod suggestions

Im 5'9 and dont like my rods too much longer than i am tall... looking for something for an "all around setup" ...price range $100

Suggestions please? preferably buy now rather than wait till the last minute unless someone knows something about a guy who told a guy about something that might be on sale sometime

Guest muddy

6'6" MED/FAST

TEAM ALL STAR IM 10  100 BUCKS

FENWICK HMX       80 BUCKS

CABELLAS FISH EAGLE II  ON SALE NOW FOR 60 BUCKS(USUALLY 80)

For baitcasting I would go with the St Croix in that price range. And for spinning, you cant beat the All Star (team) for $89-100

I think Muddy man is steering you in the right direction on length/action.

If you can find the St. Croix Avid with the Power and Action you are looking for (on sale), this is the "best value" in the market today. Some members (Fish Tank?) have found the rods on sale at Gander Mountain for $69. Any price around $100 is a steal!

8-)

Guest muddy

They were 119 this week at Cabelas is Hamburg PA, with a 10 dollar cupon for any purchse over 100.00 that put them at  100 8-)

Sorry for such a newb ? but do any of you mind posting links to these rods and telling me which one you are suggesting?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036478120775a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Rod&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Rod&noImage=0

this is the one i was looking at

Sorry for such a newb ? but do any of you mind posting links to these rods and telling me which one you are suggesting?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0036478120775a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Rod&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Rod&noImage=0

this is the one i was looking at

I've read a lot of mixed reveiws on that line of rods...

I would start with Muddy's list. If I was in the market, for what you are, I think I would really look over the Team Allstar rods. TAS 725C looks good.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH-cat20372-cat20372&id=0037326120915a&navCount=2&podId=0037326&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true

or...GC602

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH-cat20372-cat20372&id=0052329122472a&navCount=2&podId=0052329&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true

or...LFC-5-16

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH-cat20372-cat20372&id=0018282114172a&navCount=2&podId=0018282&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true

or...HMXT60M

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH-cat20372-cat20372&id=0030198118189a&navCount=2&podId=0030198&parentId=cat20372&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20372&hasJS=true

or...????

How long?  Do you want 6' or 6'6"?  

If you want something "all around" and don't like them much longer than you are tall....I'd find something in 6' MH.  

preferably buy now rather than wait till the last minute unless someone knows something about a guy who told a guy about something that might be on sale sometime

Unless you need to/want to use the rod right now, I would at least shop for another couple weeks. The "spring sales" are just starting to get into gear. When it comes to things like sales on in stock items, then it's best to wait until the last minute to see if they go on sale before you need it. Nothing worse than buying something, have it sit on the shelf for weeks waiting to get used, then the item goes on sale somewhere. Some sales, like clearance or discontinued items, you have to buy when the price is right, but for normal stock, I would wait for the stores to attract you with sale prices.

preferably buy now rather than wait till the last minute unless someone knows something about a guy who told a guy about something that might be on sale sometime

Unless you need to/want to use the rod right now, I would at least shop for another couple weeks. The "spring sales" are just starting to get into gear. When it comes to things like sales on in stock items, then it's best to wait until the last minute to see if they go on sale before you need it. Nothing worse than buying something, have it sit on the shelf for weeks waiting to get used, then the item goes on sale somewhere. Some sales, like clearance or discontinued items, you have to buy when the price is right, but for normal stock, I would wait for the stores to attract you with sale prices.

good point. i guess ill wait.. dont want too but i will :D