Sign in to follow this  
.Paxamus.

Trilene Maxx

Has anyone tried Trilene Maxx?  I am looking for a new line to try out with some traps and spinnerbaits.  Currently I am using P-Line CXX, which is great but I am using P-Line CX for my cranks and like the thinness of 12lb, but want something stronger, anyone have any experience with it?

I've got a several cold weather trips under my belt with Maxx in #14 and #17.  I bought it to try as a cold weather alternative to XT.  While it's much clearer and I think I'll like it in the warm water, it acted just like XT in the cold weather.  It's harder bodied than I expected and than it's advertised as.

Maxx may become my clear water line but it's not going to be my cold water line.  

Back to your question, we did some cranking and traps over hydrilla beds, and it was fine for that, but it was on the only warm day we had so that made it handle better.  Also it will handle much better in #12, we just didn't use anything that light.  If you are used to P-line, you might find Maxx to be a good step.  Worth a spool to try out, for sure.

I don't get out much in the cold so I don't know how it works in cold weather but otherwise I tried it this summer and fell in love with it.  I found it to be everything they adverised it to be.  I use 17lb on my Tierra it is very sensitive and very strong and casts easily.

My OPINION is, don't even consider it for spinning gear. I am thinking about giving is another try on my crankbait rod this summer, but it will never go on another spinning rod. I found it too thick, and too unmanageable for spinning reels. I didn't even get to test it enough to see how it actually performs in the water.

I never did consider it for spinning gear, for me 6-8 lb vanish is all I use on my spinners, save for night fishing and then I use Spiderwire EZ flourescent.

I priced it at Green Top outside of Richmond, Virginia yesterday and it is expensive.

I think the Extra Smooth and Extra Tough Trileen should do fine this year, along with the AN-40 and Vanish for fluorocarbon.

I am going to start using the Yo-Zuri as suggested by Roadwarrier but I will have to go to BPS to get it as Green Top does not carry Yo-Zuri.

Please keep us posted on this new line as it is going to be one heck of an investment.

Thanks guys,

I might spool a reel up with it and give it a shot, it couldn't have more memory than that P-line CXX.  Oh and for spinning reels, man I cannot say enough good stuff about the Trilene 100% Fluoro.  I am using 8lb on my spinning reels and it is awesome.  I don't know, though leaving my P-Line maybe too hard though.