Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

Last year's Avids vs. the new Avids

I'm sure I missed or forgot the answer to this based on previous posts...

What changed between the older Avids and the newer ones that the AC66MF is now rated for 1/4 - 5/8, whereas the older one was rated for 1/4 - 3/4?

Just noticed in my BPS catalog and I was curious :D

chris ,,, i believe the olny changes in the avids is the color of the blanks and the addition of IPC (intergraded poly curve ) .....  i believe the older blanks had the ART ,,, the new blanks have bolth .....  so i geuss they arent too much different just a few updates ....

i was happy with the older avids ,,, however i really like the legened tourey bass series .... i wasnt sure till i baught the slop n frog rod ,,, that is the sweetest stick i own .....  ;D

I noticed that the rods seem to have a "standard" rating. ML=1/2, M=5/8, MH=1, H=1 1/4 or 1/2. 6'+ spinning rods seem to have a "standard" rating too. At first glance, the spinning rod ratings seem to be inline with the Loomis SJR IMX power ratings. Hmmm... Wonder if they are rating them in direct comparison with the competition????

chris ,,, i believe the olny changes in the avids is the color of the blanks and the addition of IPC (intergraded poly curve ) .....  i believe the older blanks had the ART ,,, the new blanks have bolth .....  so i geuss they arent too much different just a few updates ....

i was happy with the older avids ,,, however i really like the legened tourey bass series .... i wasnt sure till i baught the slop n frog rod ,,, that is the sweetest stick i own .....  ;D

Considering that St. Croix likes to advertise the tech that their rods have, it doesn't look like anything except the Legend Elite and Legend Tournament rods have ART. If the Avids had it, then it would have the little logo on it.  :D

Oh yea, the new Avids also have a gloss finish instead of the matte black / dark grey finish they used to have. I much preferred the matte finish over the gloss finish.  :-/

I noticed that the rods seem to have a "standard" rating. ML=1/2, M=5/8, MH=1, H=1 1/4 or 1/2. 6'+ spinning rods seem to have a "standard" rating too. At first glance, the spinning rod ratings seem to be inline with the Loomis SJR IMX power ratings. Hmmm... Wonder if they are rating them in direct comparison with the competition????

I don't know if I'd put the Avid in direct competition against the IMX. The Avid lineup is nice, but it isn't THAT nice, IMO. The GL3 is more of the competitor to the Avid, although I like the Avid more than I like the GL3.

As a builder that uses St.Croix exclusively.

I have been building on the new Avid blank, great new color.

The only thing that did change is that the ART and IPC technology is now used from the Avid® through to the Legends®, they may have taken a new look at their ratings and decided to re-align the spec's.

The SC4's and up are now (what St.Croix considers a split grip).

No big deal.... :D

Would you mind showing me where it says that the Avids have ART? I know that they now have IPC, but there is absolutely no mention of ART on the Avids. According to St. Croix, ART is only used on Legend Elite, Legend Tournament, Legend Ultra, and Legend Inshore rods. :P

Guest avid

Quick trip to the st croix website indicates that there is no ART technology used in the avid series.

the handles look the same.  They seem have gone with the split grip in the tournament bass series.  But leave it to a company like St. Croix to ignore the "hypalon" grip hype, and keep the warmth of cork  even on the split grips.

Ok, let's put this all in one place....

Legend Elite...SC-V blanks. A.R.T and I.P.C tech. SiC concept guides. DNPS seat and Select cork.

Legend tournament...SC-IV blank. A.R.T and I.P.C tech. Alconite guides. SKM seat and Select cork.

Avid rods...SC-III blank. Alconite guides. I.P.C. tech. ECS or TCS seat with Select cork.

A.R.T is St Croix's acronym for using carbon fiber. It is ONLY found in SC-V and SC-IV blanks!!!

Disclaimer....the only info I have access to is on the 'Net. All the above info is from deep inside St Croix's website. :D

I decided to e-mail St. Croix and see what they had to say. This is what I got back from them from before. I gotta say that they're quick. Got this back in an hour or two.

xxxxxxx,

The ART technology can be found in the following series of rods:

Legend Elite (fly, spinning, and casting)

Legend Tournament

Legend Ultra

Legend Inshore

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan Levra

Customer Service, Order Center

St. Croix Rods

856 N 4th Ave

PO Box 279

Park Falls, WI  54552

1-800-826-7042 ext 114

www.stcroixrods.com

danl@stcroixrods.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 9:18 AM

To: Dan Levra

Subject: Product Question

Name: xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

Address 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Address 2:

City: xxxxxxxxxx

State: NJ

Zip: 07480

Comments: I have a question about your ART or Advanced Reinforcing Technology. Which series of rods do you currently apply this technology to?

Thank you for your time.

So according to Dan Levra, the Avids do not have ART incorporated into the design.

Obviously, the x'ed out parts are my name, address, and other things that people on the net don't need to know.  :D

I'm done now. I just don't want someone to go and buy a rod, thinking that it has a certain feature or technology, when it doesn't. I would think that if St. Croix wanted to sell more rods, and if the Avid line had ART, they would put that little logo onto it. Heck, they went through the trouble of putting the IPC logo onto the new ones... Every little logo with a different technology gives the salesperson another selling point and makes their product seem superior to their competitor's.

ok so theres no art ,,,, may baddd .... the olny differences are the ipc and the finish .... ;D

I don't know if I'd put the Avid in direct competition against the IMX. The Avid lineup is nice, but it isn't THAT nice, IMO. The GL3 is more of the competitor to the Avid, although I like the Avid more than I like the GL3.

I wouldn't, but you never know what salespeople will say to make a sale. I don't know what the 2008 models are like, but I wouldn't even put a Legend bass rod in the same catagory as an IMX for the simple fact the Legend rods have or had, such a bulky blank. I'm thinking that A.R.T took care of that, but I would like to see a new one up close.