Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Daiwa Tournament SS Spinning Reel

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&id=0002046110120a&navCount=0&podId=0002046&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true

You guys know of this reel? It's been around for a long time. I keep hearing from local fishing stores how good/great this reel is. I've picked up one & it is light, since it's body is graphite. But it does not have instant anti-reverse. I've not casted one, but I understand that it casts much farther than other reels. Also the drag is one of the best & quite durable.

I'm also surprise that this reel has not changed much, except wehre it's made. I think the originals were made in Japaan, but the latest models are either made in Thailand or Malaysia. But they still hold a new value of $90+, depending on the model.

Just wanted to get some input if this reel is worth it.

If you really like the features of this reel, your opinion is more important than mine, but I do own several old Diawa Tournament SS spinning reels. One of them has trouble holding a drag setting, I believe the internal thread on the adjustment knob is out-of-square. On another Tournament SS, the lifetime bail-spring given me fits, something that's practically a thing of the past today. I've also had the pivot-screw for the bail-arm rattle-out and get lost. That of course is my fault for not staying abreast of my reel, but it's never happened with any other spinning reel under the same watch.

I should point out that my Tournament reels are very old, and I don't know if that reel has ever been upgraded, or in what way (question for Reel Mechanic). In any case, if you like Daiwa which is an excellent company, several fellows on the forum speak very highly of the Daiwa Tierra, which you might want to check-out too.

Roger

This reel was one of the best reels on the market at the moment they came out (probably about 20-25 years ago), but they are way, way outdated. They are not worth even half the price.

But the company is making huge profits on it, and that's all it counts (for them). Any brand you pick has better reels in that price range.

keep an open mind and look around some more , I think you'll find better reels with- in that price range.

keep an open mind and look around some more , I think you'll find better reels with- in that price range.

Ditto, there are ALOT of better reels around than that for the Money= like a Pflueger President,Shimano Symetre,Daiwa Exceler,just to name a few.

Most all my fishing is from the bank, so I'm always interested in reels with good casting distance and the SS series fits the bill. The elongated spool with taper lets line flow from the spool like silk. Easily outcasts my Sedona and Symetre.

I have a 1600 and a 2600 that I use primarily for catfish (3-12 lb.) and carp (8-31 lb.), and a carp is one heck of a fighting fish - the SS drag is not an issue.

The SS series is one tough reel. I just whish Daiwa would add a few more bearings to make a smoother retrieve.

I have a couple of Daiwa Regal Z(2500) for almost 10 years and I used them for everything : bass, walley,pike, carp, cats... I had no problems with them (properly mainteined). Cost me half of the SS each ( fortysome $, I don't even remember exactly)

The SS has a great drag ,but thats about it.

You can find reels that have more features in the same price range but I don't think that any of them are better reels.  IMO it is like the Ambassadeur of spinning reels.