Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Ceramic Bearing Upgrades

I'm upgrading my two Abu Garcia 5600C4 reels.   I adding ceramic spool bearings, ceramic level wind bearing, ball bearing idler gear, Abu Rocket Brake system.  I'm hoping to get significanlty longer casting and light-lure handling.  

Has anyone upgraded their reel to ceramic bearings?  What sort of performance increases have you seen?  (I know it's sort of late to ask, they've already been ordered.)

Anyone know of any aftermarket handles that would fit the Abu Ambassadeurs?  (Not the power handles.)  

ha roland

greetings from louisiana

i have been thinking about getting some good bearing 3-10-4's

if you don't mind a few questions

1# where did you get your bearings

2# are they abce 5's or 7's

3# what brand

4# what cost per set of spool bearing

your friend

mike

Don't hold me to this as fact, but I think Daiwa and Abu baitcasting handles interchange. Get ahold of a Daiwa handle and find out.

So, like the Revo inshore extended handle would/might fit on my TD-A HST153??  That is something I might like, slightly longer throw in the handle.

You're not going to see much of a performance upgrade by adding a ceramic bearing to your level wind unless it did not have a bearing there to start with. If it only had a nylon spacer then you will get better line lay on the spool by adding a bearing there. You added ceramics where they count the most, on the spool. This will give you distance on your casting.

You will notice it will be easier to cast with less effort. Make sure if you ordered the bearings greased to clean them out before installing them. You don't want grease in ceramic bearings on the spool. That defeats the purpose. After cleaning, one or two drops of good oil per bearing and your good to go. I always grease my frame bearings that are under heavier loads and oil the ones under lighter loads such as spool bearings. But that is just me. :P

Most Daiwa handles will fit on Abu reels. Bassart, ZPI, I'ZE, Avail are just some after market handles to look at. Be ready to pay for half of what you have in the reel though. Bass Pro has some decent handles too that are way cheaper. That should be a mean Abu when you get finished with it. I wanna see pics when you're done. ;)

ha roland

greetings from louisiana

i have been thinking about getting some good bearing 3-10-4's

if you don't mind a few questions

1# where did you get your bearings

2# are they abce 5's or 7's

3# what brand

4# what cost per set of spool bearing

your friend

mike

check PM

Make sure if you ordered the bearings greased to clean them out before installing them.

They ship dry.  I'll have to oil them.  

I wanna see pics when you're done. ;)

The handle is the last thing I'm gonna do.  It will look like a 5600C4 with a new handle.   :P

I was thinking about an older style metal Abu handle with wood grips.  But the Bassart handles may look cool.  I want something about the same lenght as what's on it, though.

I guess you can't see the link in my Signature. So I'm going to have to post it now just to keep in the race with Jim..... ::P

Drag Pad & Bearing Upgrades

Tight Lines!!!!

I'll be taking you up on that offer on the Carbontex.  I had no idea you sold these and would rather support BR anyway.  Thanks for the info. :P

You're not going to see much of a performance upgrade by adding a ceramic bearing to your level wind unless it did not have a bearing there to start with. If it only had a nylon spacer then you will get better line lay on the spool by adding a bearing there. You added ceramics where they count the most, on the spool. This will give you distance on your casting.

The level wind on the C4 is non-disengaging.  It moves when in free-spool.  So cutting down friction there, and the in the gear that drives it, should also increase casting distance.  

The level wind on the C4 is non-disengaging. It moves when in free-spool. So cutting down friction there, and the in the gear that drives it, should also increase casting distance.

You're right.  I always have Daiwa on the brain, wasn't thinking how Abu's are made.