Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

H, tip Or MH, tip?????

I am new to this frogin thing and I want to get a rod for just frog fishing.I had a guy tell me to go to a 7' 10" MH rod. He said that a H or XH tip would just pull the frog away too fast. But I thought that you should get a broom handle kind of a rod to pull them out of all the slop and weeds( I know to use a braided line).

Also should I be using a H tip or MH tip for flippin and pitchin jigs?

the rods come in weights ,,,, med ,,, med-hev ,,, heavy ...

the tips come in actions .... mod ,,, fast ,,, extra fast ....

as for the rod ,,, you can purchase a frog rod ..... these rods where designed for frog fishin .... be care full tho they differ from company to company .... :o

OK, I will reword my question= for a froggin rod would I be better off with H or a MH rod with a fast tip or X fast tip?

Same question for a flippin and pitchin rod for jigs?

i would say ,,, get a 7 ft heavy fast action rod ....thats what i use for froggs i dont think youd have trouble jig fishing eigther ..... you live in the mill ??? im just out side of green bay ,, small world ...  ;D

Hay Bat, Ya I live in Mil., too bad about the Packers ! But now we have bass fishing to look forward to. And thanks for the info. What frogs do you like?

Yeah, I second that.  Fast tip, H.  I usually use my 7' MH for froggin', but I use a 7'3" H for my pitchin' rod.  Since your froggin' rod is gonna double as your pitchin' rod, the 7' H will be a good choice.  Unless your patient on your hookset with the frog, the XF action rod may hurt you on your hookup.

Yeah, I second that. Fast tip, H. I usually use my 7' MH for froggin', but I use a 7'3" H for my pitchin' rod. Since your froggin' rod is gonna double as your pitchin' rod, the 7' H will be a good choice. Unless your patient on your hookset with the frog, the XF action rod may hurt you on your hookup.

Ya, that is what a guy told me about a H tip with a XF tip, that the rod would load up too fast and that I would pull the frog away too fast. :'( That is why he goes to a MH and a fast tip but, I would think that with all the stuff you pull in with the bass that you would need a H XF tip that is why I did ask this question because I wanted input from frogger's. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Hay Bat, Ya I live in Mil., too bad about the Packers ! But now we have bass fishing to look forward to. And thanks for the info. What frogs do you like?

yea ,,, im a big packers fan .... i really thought we were going to beat the giants  :'( ,,, ohh well there is always next season ,,, im over it ...

ok so frog stick //// i use the st croix legened tourney bass ( slop n frog ) this is st croixs frog stick ... this stick rates out as a 7ft heavy fast ,,, they really made a killer stick in this one .... ive fished a few different frog rods and will say this stick is far better than any other frog stick i have tryed ....

as for the frog i use ,,, there is olny one the spro brnze eye frog ... dean rojahs ( frog man ) helped design this frog and it is a sweet little frog ....  i olny buy the reg size not the JR ,,,im olny lookin for the hoggz ...

as for takin the bait away from the bass ,,, this more depeneds on the fisherman than the rod .... most bass ive caught will crush this frog ,,, the hard part is giving them that couple seconeds to get it down before you set the hook .... this will take time to get the hook set down .... so if you miss a few dont worry most people do ...  :o

good luck ,, once you get it you will love it .....  ;D

Mike Bat, As for the Bronzeye frog I bought about 5 of them last year and I didn't use them at all,  I fished the Horny Toad. I was looking at my Bronzeye frogs the other day, and I looked at that hook and it rests tight against  the body. I put my hand around the frod and tryed to act like I was a bass and how the frog would depress. It just seems the body is too stiff and that the hook up's would not be very good! :-/ :-/ :'( :'( :-? :-?

dont worry ,,, i can tell you from fishing this frog the bass have no trouble getting hooked up .... the horney toad is a buzzing frog ( more like a buzz bait ) where you want a steady retrieve to keep that frog on top .... the spro can sit still for a while or can be walked ( like a spook ) or my go to is just dancing that frog along at different speeds make him look like hes havein trouble .... the bass go nutts .... ... the hooks on the spro are tucked away pritty well ,,, for good reason ... if you fish this frog right you will be tossin your frog in the nasty stuff ...

Picture121.jpgPicture152.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Mike Bat, Thanks for the info and the sweet photo's, Can't wait to go froggin. :o 8-)