Sign in to follow this  
Bassaholic84

learning baitcast need real recomendation

i need a recomendation for a baitcast reel for a beginner.  i was thinking about bps extreme.  can anyone help i fish alot of plastcs jigs spinnerbaits and crankbaits

Well Lunkerfeaver, here we go again.

You will receive a lot of suggestions from the guys; all of which are acceptable and will help you make a decision.

After you read all of the replies be sure to ask the tackle shop of their opinion and input.  Just be careful that the person you are speaking with is knowledgable and not trying to sell you anything.

I would suggest a Curado 200 but that may be too expensive.  The 200 can handle your cranks and spinnerbaits and it has the power to fish the jig in cover and structure.  But I am partial to Shimano.

As long as you stick with the major brands you cannot go wrong.

Good luck with your selection.

You need to tell what you are willing to spend.  Everybody on here will assume you want to spend $200 or more if you don't set your limit.  Even then they will tell you, "for a little more money you can get.....".  So make it clear what your budget is and you'll be better off.

If you are willing to spend at least $70, the Daiwa Exceler sounds like the one to have.  

If you are used to cranking a spinning reel with your left hand, you may want to consider LH casting models.  I started with a Curado 200B.  Casting with it is fun, but I still prefer to hold the rod in my right hand.  I'm still debating a LH model instead.  Leon

Check out some Shimano Clarus rods.  They are about $60 I think, with a Daiwa Exceler you should come in under budget.

I am a beginner as well. What I did is purchased a cheap 25 dollar baitcaster to first learn how to use it.... from setup to casting using side arm and flipping / pitching. I did find that the line that came with it is not worth fishing with. I have learned well how to cast in all positions without bird nesting or backlash. Once I get real comfortable I will then upgrade to a more expensive and better set up.  

The line that came with the reel was very cheap and not worth using.  >:o

I changed it out to Trilene xl 14 lb line but it appears to be large in diamater.  It seems to cast ok but dont get the distance I would like with it.

I have some Berkley Game Fishing line 15 lb light green that is no where near the diameter. Would ya'll find this to be better line. I also have some 20 lb cajun line that tough but small diameter.

Any suggestions?

The line that came with the reel was very cheap and not worth using. >:o

Thats usually the case

I changed it out to Trilene xl 14 lb line but it appears to be large in diamater. It seems to cast ok but dont get the distance I would like with it.

Might not be entirely the lines fault considering the reel. Your rod will also have a big effect.

I have some Berkley Game Fishing line 15 lb light green that is no where near the diameter. Would ya'll find this to be better line. I also have some 20 lb cajun line that tough but small diameter.

Any suggestions?

I would choose Big Game over XL any day.

So instead of using a 6ft. rod I need to go to a 7ft and would help loading it to cast farther......

I acknowlege the cheapness of the baitcaster reel and will make that change once I am proficient in the casting well enough to spend that amount of money on a reel.  ;D

im thinking either abu garcia revo s or shimano citica anybody got experience with these

Although the reels control have something to do the real backlash preventer is you thumb and practice. A moderately priced combo in the $100 to $125 range should work very well for almost anything. Much below that will limit what you do with the bait caster but if you don't want to throw light jigs and such don't worry about it.

A friend who had a Quantum reel and an Ugly Stick about 4 years ago decided he wanted a better outfit so he could baitcast better. He bought a new Curado and a St. Croix rod, I'm not sure which model.

He still didn't get in the yard and practice and I would guess his total time using his baitcaster in the 28 days we fished together in the past 2 years is less than 2 hours.

Buy what you can afford to set in the corner and learn to use it. You can upgrade over the years and the original outfit will still be great for heavier lures like spinner baits, cranks, surface , Texas rigged weighted worms and the like. If you don't like baitcasting you don't have a fortune setting in the corner.

I use both spinning and baitcasters. Probably 90% BC's in the early season and 75% in the summer and fall.

im thinking either abu garcia revo s or shimano citica anybody got experience with these

A couple of lines down in this section we have an 8 page thread going on. Look through it for a variety of opinions...then buy a Citica... ::o

8-)