Sign in to follow this  
dumb_dog11

Crankin' Line

What is the best line for cranks and spinnerbaits?

Right now I have braid on my crankin' stick. Should i use a flouro leader? Or should I switch to just mono or flouro? I'm going out today for the first trip of the year. Will be leavin in a couple hours. ;D

thanks

I personally do not like using braid when cranking. The treble hooks always seemed to rip out when I fished treble hook lures on braid. I reccomend just using mono.

I personally do not like using braid when cranking. The treble hooks always seemed to rip out when I fished treble hook lures on braid. I reccomend just using mono.

what do you mean the trebles ripped out?

what do you mean the trebles ripped out?

Braid has zero stretch and sometimes causes treble hooks in a bass's mouth to rip out when it jumps or shakes its head. Mono has some stretch and acts as a shock absorber when a bass tries to shake free.

I use braid 100% of the time when cranking - - I do tie on a mono leader most of the time, as the braid doesn't handle rocks or crankbait lips very well (use a good, abrasion resistant mono - like CXX)).

Deep cranking especially - you get maximum depth without that "reeling in an anchor with a rubber band" feeling you get from mono.  

I don't have any problems with hooks ripping out.  

I use 8# test P-Line CXX.

When using braid, aren't you supposed to compensate by loosening the drag?

I use braid with a fluoro leader also..My crank'n sticks are all glass to help absorb the shock..

Since I picked up a new BP Crank'in stik and a new Citica I'm going to try the new Berkley Trilene fluorocarbon line..I've read fluorocarbon sinks so that should help get the bait deeper

When using braid, aren't you supposed to compensate by loosening the drag?

That too is what i fish, and yes it helps to loosen the drag and definately do not horse the fish,play em slow and you wont have probs with braid.

I throw my larger cranks on 12 lb vanish fluoro on a BPS crankin'stick.

Smaller cranks (1/4 oz.) I throw with 8lb mono on a spinnin outfit.

I use fluorocrabon.  But I read somewhere that because of braids extreamly small diameter allows it to dive just as deep as fluorocarbon.

i got a new avid crankbait series rod for xmas and a citica to go with it, and i bought my self some yo-zuri hybrid copolymer line to use. im excited to break that combo in!!!!

thanks for your advise.

ill try a couple combinations and see what works for me as i see that, like most things, we all very different views.

btw got skunked today. were just at the end of a cold front with another coming so it was tough. and murky water, which i am not used to.

Fact is, line diameter is the biggest factor when it comes to a cranks running depth. Floating braid and sinking fluorocarbon effect worms, jigs, and various other presentations, but when it comes to cranks, pulling the line through the water, and the hyrodynamic resistance the line creates, is what effects them.

I've alway's used mono with my glass rod, but with the new rod I got, I am honestly still undecide on what type of line to use. I think I am leaning towords giving braid with a small fluorocarbon leader a shot.

I use braid with 10 ft of floro leader and a Medium Moderate rod to absorb the shock and prevent treble tear out.  

If you have a stiff rod (MF or MHF) then slow play and loose drag can help compensate.

The last few years I've used 12 lb test Power Pro braid on my crankbait setup. Last year I had to add a flouro leader as I was getting just too many cut offs from rocks, etc. I just didn't like how the leader felt going through the guides, especially the tip guide. So this year I'm going to back to co-polymer. My line of choice is 12 lb PLine CXX Xtra. For lite wt cranks I still use a spinning outfit with 8 lb Sufix Elite.

Cranks or jerks are not things where I would use braid for. In deep cranking I go with BPS XPS fluoro otherwise P-line Evolution.